Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Honeywell Thermostat Buzzing

Hi,

I just purchased a home (approx. 1 year old) which has the dial-type Honeywell thermostats installed. I've noticed on the majority of them, that when they turn on, there is a buzzing / vibration noise that lasts for 30 seconds or so. If I happen to touch the dial part of the thermostat, the buzzing stops.

I have two questions: What is causing the buzzing noise? Are the thermostats safe to operate in this manner.

Thank you.

kbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #2

The first step would be to check on the furnace itself to find a contractor sticker. The company that installed the unit should be listed there - the system might still be under warranty?
The second step would be to look into getting a newer programmable energy efficient style thermostat. Not sure whats causing that buzzing but it does not give me very secure feeling. New thermostats are pretty reasonable and you'll save a good amount on your power bills as well.
At the same time you might want to establish a good rapport with a local HVAC company for at least bi-annual service calls to save you issues in the future. Hope thats of some help.

Skipperjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,026

Can you take the cover off the thermostat and see all the parts inside? Can you duplicate the situation by turning the dial ever so slowly one way or the other? I cannot think of any reason why the old round non-programmable mercury Honeywell thermostats would hum. Except possibly due to age of the bimetallic strip it took time for the glass capsule to tilt just right and the glob of mercury stopped halfway and an arc occurred in the capsule.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments. I have tried unsuccessfully to repeat the scenario with the cover removed. As I stated in the initial post, when I touch the dial, the buzz/hum stops.

I have also replaced the thermostats with programmable type in the main living areas, but maybe it's time to change them throughout the house.

I should have mentioned earlier that the home has baseboard heaters and not a furnace has suggested in one of the replys.
kbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Dangerous

Mine does the same thing, I touch it or hit the wall near it, it stops. I have an identical one in the other room that only has done it twice all winter, this one does it multiple times a day. So you are not alone!
BennettCKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

Could there be a loose connection inside, perhaps where the wires in the wall are attached to the thermostat?

For non-mercury models could the actual contact be dirty? You can use a small piece of ultra fine sandpaper or crocus cloth to clean the contact.

Tags
buzzing, honeywell, noise, thermostat, thermostat help