Honeywell Programmable Timer HELP! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Talking

Honeywell Programmable Timer HELP!

Our Honeywell 540A timer is up and running to control the front porch lights. However, the switch is very hot to the touch only when the outside lights are on. (The timer has a manual on/off and there is not heat when off) I can touch the metal screws but not for too long. There are three switches next to each other and the only one hot is for the timer. I have figured out a few things about this switch:

No CFL's
Will control total of 500 watts

I certainly do not want to burn my house down and I am wondering what should I do not. Would CFL's make the switch hot? Is there something wrong with the wiring? I do not want to pay for an electrician and am trying to troubleshoot myself. But again, I'm not stupid enough to keep this thing on until I figure out the cause and if there is any danger.

Thank you for any insight.

Scott

Advertisement

cinsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,428

Does the timer have a relay or triac to turn the lights on and off?
If it makes a click sound when you turn it on then it has a relay. A relay is basically a magnetic switch.
If it is silent when it turns on/off then it probably uses a triac or some other chip that makes heat.
If it can dim lamps then it probably uses a triac, just like a dimmer switch. A triac makes heat.

Advertisement

poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Short Circuit

Rewards Points: 48

That timer is only rated at 500 watts.
How many lights, and wattage of each light do you have ?
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinsw View Post
Our Honeywell 540A timer is up and running to control the front porch lights. However, the switch is very hot to the touch only when the outside lights are on. (The timer has a manual on/off and there is not heat when off) I can touch the metal screws but not for too long. There are three switches next to each other and the only one hot is for the timer. I have figured out a few things about this switch:

No CFL's
Will control total of 500 watts

I certainly do not want to burn my house down and I am wondering what should I do not. Would CFL's make the switch hot? Is there something wrong with the wiring? I do not want to pay for an electrician and am trying to troubleshoot myself. But again, I'm not stupid enough to keep this thing on until I figure out the cause and if there is any danger.

Thank you for any insight.

Scott
I would call the factory and see what they say. It may be normal as with dimmers.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
Short Circuit

Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectricianTV View Post
I would call the factory and see what they say. It may be normal as with dimmers.

So you're saying that that your dimmers in your house are so hot that you can't touch them for more that a few seconds ???

Last edited by beenthere; 11-08-2015 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Treat all members with respect
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,984

Some dimmers do get very hot.

The install manual says your can be used with florescent lights.

How many watts are you controlling with yours.

Advertisement