Home Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home wiring

I live in a three year old house. I added a new outlet, switch, and a exterior light. Everything seems to be working fine. But I would like a little reassurance that I did it right. So I ran 12/2 from an existing outlet in the ceiling that the garage door opener plugs into to the new outlet (pigtailed on both outlets) then to the switch then to the exterior light. Also is it ok to lay the wire on top of the insulation in the attic? There is big grouping of wires coming from the panel running up through the attic and they seem to be warm to touch. Is this ok?

Advertisement

Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Home wiring

It depends on how warm the attic is right now. Mine gets up to about 101 on a nice sunny day, so everything up there is going to be warm to the touch.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Mill (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,102

Home wiring

Romex is constructed with 90C conductors so it can withstand the heat. The problem is when it is bundled together with lets say wire ties, or ran in the insulation. Then it has to be derated. If your cables are laying loose across the attic there shouldn't be a problem.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electures For This Useful Post:
Mill (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #4

Home wiring

Thanks for the response. Now do you think the wiring I ran should be ok?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Home wiring

Mill,

From what you say your work does not raise any red flags. However, if you really want the reassurance from folks on this board we need:

1. pctures (inside of boxes would be nice)
2. description of what circuit was tapped into

the job, done correctly, means:

1. properly designed (you tapped a circuit that is not already overloaded and that is not restricted for example bath circuits cant serve non bath loads)
2. you used code-compliant UL listed boxes, wires and cables/conduit, switches, lights and receptacles as appropriate. the light is rated for outdoor use and the receptacle is a GFCI
3. your work is of good quality. For example, if your connections are not well made or you didnt connect grounds properly you will have problems regardless of how well designed it is and the materials used. Also many people on this forum hate back-stabbed receptacles and switches but since I never use them I have no opinion

Last edited by kevinp22; 05-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp22 For This Useful Post:
Mill (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #6

Home wiring

I will try to post some pictures. All material is code compliant. All the connections are secured with wire nuts and twisted together before I put on the wire nuts and are not back stabbed they are secured to the screws. Why do you need a gfci is it because the light is powered from this outlet?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #7

Home wiring

GFCI is if the outlet is a general use receptacle in the garage. It was my understanding from your post you installed a new general purpose receptacle and a switch with corresponding light outside. If you did not install a general use receptacle I misread and you can disregard the gfci note.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp22 For This Useful Post:
Mill (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

Home wiring

I did not use a gfci. All of the other receptacles are general use in the garage is this ok? Would you hook up a gfci the same as a general use one?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #9

Home wiring

The 2008 NEC revision to article 210.8(A)(2) did away with the exceptions for dedicated outlets (e.g., freezers, irrigation controllers, etc.) and for inaccessible outlets such as those in the ceiling for garage door operators. Basically, if it's in the garage, it must be GFCI protected.

If your garage was built under a previous code cycle, it may well not have been required. However, since you are adding a new one/changing the wiring, it would be wise to check code in your area.

Or ask your inspector, since you pulled a permit for this, right?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Home wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp22 View Post
Or ask your inspector, since you pulled a permit for this, right?
Some areas do not require permits to be pulled, if the homeowner is doing the work. Mine does not, as long as you perform the scope of the work in a professional manner and follow the NEC & city rules regarding electrical codes.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-22-2012)