Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

home wiring


I have a few outlets that have quit working and now in some other rooms if I turn something on it throws the breaker. I was told that the wiring in my house is the wrong wiring.

Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

home wiring


Sounds like you need to call an electrician.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

home wiring


I bought this old house 11 years ago and had almost all of it rewired, on the wiring it says Essex 14-2G 600 V.

Last edited by Suzyq358; 04-26-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot to write something
Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

home wiring


Are you saying that the 11 year old wiring has gone bad?

I'm not trying to be rude, but just by the "tone" of your posts, I don't think we can help you here.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

home wiring


I am wondering if that is what is going on? However a couple of people have told me that it is the wrong wiring for a house..one being the Fire Marshall. Can you tell me anything about the wiring I mentioned?
Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,284
Rewards Points: 2,230
Default

home wiring


Plug something in and the breaker trips, you have a short. Do it too many times, the Guys & Gals in the nice pretty Red or Yellow trucks with lights and sirens show up at your home to put out the bonfire that came about.

Hope your Homeowner's is paid up to date and covers stuff like this.
__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Cruising into the sunset
 
JulieMor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 477
Rewards Points: 250
Default

home wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyq358 View Post
I was told that the wiring in my house is the wrong wiring.
That's a pretty general statement. My next question would be "What do you mean by 'wrong'?" BTW, who made that statement?

You say you had it rewired 11 years ago. Have you had no problems until now?

There's a direct short related to whatever it is that switch that blows the breaker is connected to. Your situation with the non-working receptacles is probably related to that too.

How many receptacles aren't working?

Did they all go out at the same time or at different times? If different, how many went out? What room are they in?

Do you know if all the receptacles that don't work are on the same circuit that blows when the switch is turned on?

Can you provide a drawing that shows walls, receptacles, switches and identify lights and such?
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

home wiring


From the description of the wire, it sounds like romex which is legal in just about every part of the country that I know of (except Chicago).

If he is talking about the older wiring, then you might have Knob and Tube. Knob and Tube is a type of wiring run free thru out the house. There are commonly splices just in walls and ceilings, not in junction boxes. This wiring can be dangerous and a fire hazard, and every electrician I know, would recommend replacing Knob and Tube.

As far as your receptacles, they could go bad over time. If these recepts are fed by knob and tube, you won't have a ground available so you would have to replace those recepts with either a GFI, an ungrounded recept, or rewire those recepts with a wiring method that includes a ground.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

home wiring


I have 3 outlets in the kitchen that do not work and no switch is thrown. It just rained really hard here and the basement had a little bit of flooding and when I plugged in the shop vac a switch threw. I turned off the shop vac and then when I tried to turn on the lights they flashed and went off. This is a recent problem..although my electric bills are outrageous..over $200 a month and I live alone and use very little electricity. My ex has a larger house, uses more electricity and his bills run about $60 a month. The fire marshal was one person that told me he could red flag the house and make me move out..another person was a friend.
Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

home wiring


It was knob and tube when I bought the house but we tore all that out and replaced it with this wiring.
Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

home wiring


The outlet problem sounds like a tripped GFI receptacle or breaker. Look for an outlet with little buttons on it or a breaker that has a yellow button on it. Press the "Reset" button and that should take care of your problem.

As for your other problems, they are too large for us to handle. Seriously, call a licensed electrician and find out what the fire marshal is talking about. He wouldn't just say this if it wasn't a danger to you or your family.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-26-2012), Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

home wiring


Thank You everyone! I am going to call an electrician and have one come and look at everything before my house burns down.
Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Cruising into the sunset
 
JulieMor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 477
Rewards Points: 250
Default

home wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyq358 View Post
Thank You everyone! I am going to call an electrician and have one come and look at everything before my house burns down.
Yes, from what you've said, something is seriously wrong. Fire Marshalls are usually really concerned about things that start fires. When electrical problems pose a fire risk, it's time to call a professional.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1938 TN Home - My First Home, My First project, Tons of Pictures!!! Firefighter3244 Project Showcase 78 07-01-2014 10:55 PM
mobile home service to bond or not to bond rikmac Electrical 35 03-17-2010 03:47 PM
fixing old wiring in 40's bulit home with rock lath pacifier1er Electrical 2 12-15-2009 06:31 PM
New Home Wiring - Seeking Expert Advice Dirtrnr Electrical 3 02-10-2009 10:33 AM
Home Wiring CAD Software fw2007 Electrical 4 02-11-2008 11:30 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.