Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

home wiring

I have a few outlets that have quit working and now in some other rooms if I turn something on it throws the breaker. I was told that the wiring in my house is the wrong wiring.

Suzyq358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

home wiring

Sounds like you need to call an electrician.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

home wiring

I bought this old house 11 years ago and had almost all of it rewired, on the wiring it says Essex 14-2G 600 V.

Last edited by Suzyq358; 04-26-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot to write something
Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

home wiring

Are you saying that the 11 year old wiring has gone bad?

I'm not trying to be rude, but just by the "tone" of your posts, I don't think we can help you here.
gregzoll (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

home wiring

I am wondering if that is what is going on? However a couple of people have told me that it is the wrong wiring for a house..one being the Fire Marshall. Can you tell me anything about the wiring I mentioned?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,230

home wiring

Plug something in and the breaker trips, you have a short. Do it too many times, the Guys & Gals in the nice pretty Red or Yellow trucks with lights and sirens show up at your home to put out the bonfire that came about.

Hope your Homeowner's is paid up to date and covers stuff like this.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

home wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyq358 View Post
I was told that the wiring in my house is the wrong wiring.
That's a pretty general statement. My next question would be "What do you mean by 'wrong'?" BTW, who made that statement?

You say you had it rewired 11 years ago. Have you had no problems until now?

There's a direct short related to whatever it is that switch that blows the breaker is connected to. Your situation with the non-working receptacles is probably related to that too.

How many receptacles aren't working?

Did they all go out at the same time or at different times? If different, how many went out? What room are they in?

Do you know if all the receptacles that don't work are on the same circuit that blows when the switch is turned on?

Can you provide a drawing that shows walls, receptacles, switches and identify lights and such?
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMor For This Useful Post:
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

home wiring

From the description of the wire, it sounds like romex which is legal in just about every part of the country that I know of (except Chicago).

If he is talking about the older wiring, then you might have Knob and Tube. Knob and Tube is a type of wiring run free thru out the house. There are commonly splices just in walls and ceilings, not in junction boxes. This wiring can be dangerous and a fire hazard, and every electrician I know, would recommend replacing Knob and Tube.

As far as your receptacles, they could go bad over time. If these recepts are fed by knob and tube, you won't have a ground available so you would have to replace those recepts with either a GFI, an ungrounded recept, or rewire those recepts with a wiring method that includes a ground.
Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #9

home wiring

I have 3 outlets in the kitchen that do not work and no switch is thrown. It just rained really hard here and the basement had a little bit of flooding and when I plugged in the shop vac a switch threw. I turned off the shop vac and then when I tried to turn on the lights they flashed and went off. This is a recent problem..although my electric bills are outrageous..over $200 a month and I live alone and use very little electricity. My ex has a larger house, uses more electricity and his bills run about $60 a month. The fire marshal was one person that told me he could red flag the house and make me move out..another person was a friend.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #10

home wiring

It was knob and tube when I bought the house but we tore all that out and replaced it with this wiring.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Licensed Electrician

home wiring

The outlet problem sounds like a tripped GFI receptacle or breaker. Look for an outlet with little buttons on it or a breaker that has a yellow button on it. Press the "Reset" button and that should take care of your problem.

As for your other problems, they are too large for us to handle. Seriously, call a licensed electrician and find out what the fire marshal is talking about. He wouldn't just say this if it wasn't a danger to you or your family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-26-2012), Suzyq358 (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

home wiring

Thank You everyone! I am going to call an electrician and have one come and look at everything before my house burns down.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Cruising into the sunset

Rewards Points: 250

home wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyq358 View Post
Thank You everyone! I am going to call an electrician and have one come and look at everything before my house burns down.
Yes, from what you've said, something is seriously wrong. Fire Marshalls are usually really concerned about things that start fires. When electrical problems pose a fire risk, it's time to call a professional.

JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote