Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Home theater wiring question : Separation

I understand the importance of separating the 110/220 V wiring from audio cables to reduce the chance of noise and other interference, but I am wondering if it is equally important to separate the signal cables (RCA) from the speaker wire themselves, or can I run these together? Obviously they go to the same location anyway on one end.

TYIA

Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

The low voltage wiring can all be next to each other. Majority of the time, RG-6 is used for all audio & Component wiring, Cat-6 is used for HDMI these days.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

I wouldn't worry about keeping anything separated...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

The only thing I would worry about is if you are running low level analog signal cables, i.e. RCA, VGA, component, composite tightly bundled with 120v wires for an extended distance, i.e. >5 feet. I worked installing home theatres, and we would run into issues very rarley, but sometimes with analog video (i.e. not HDMI, DVI etc...) when we would do a TV mounted over a fireplace etc... and the power cables were running with the analog video cables for most of the run.

But today most video is digital, so it either makes it there or it doesn't, so don't worry about it for video if you're doing digital. Speaker cable is basically impervious to noise. What you have to worry about is the very low voltage audio, i.e. running sources from the house out to a pool house (long runs) with high voltage power (not speaker) right next to it. But then again if you're outside, it probably doesn't matter if you get a little less fidelity, it's not going to be a big deal.

Don't worry if you're just running wires across each other in a home theater situation, but don't run low voltage analog signals parallel with power for >5 feet.

That's my $.02 from working as a whole house/theatre tech for a few years in college.
Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I understand the importance of separating the 110/220 V wiring from audio cables to reduce the chance of noise and other interference, but I am wondering if it is equally important to separate the signal cables (RCA) from the speaker wire themselves, or can I run these together? Obviously they go to the same location anyway on one end.

TYIA
The other answers about not needing to worry are right. Put a couple article website links thought you might find useful. Let me know if I can help out. The last link is just a "just for kicks link"

Surround Sound - AVR: http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/s...at-is-avr.html
Connection Cables: http://allabouthomeelectronics.com/c...on-cables.html
Everet is offline   Reply With Quote