Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #1

Share |

Home theater system set up

hey guys im building a home theater system and i have already prepped up my wiring by routing my caox cable and speaker cables through the walls and attic. so far this is my setup:

Symphonic 19" televison
Sanyo component system - going to get a Logitech THX Certified surround 5.1 sound speakers maybe a z-5500, most likely a x-540
Sony DVD Player
Going to hook up my quad core computer that i built

i also want to get a better outlet dude to alot of components being plugged into one. so how many amp ratings do you recomend that i should buy, and if there is any suggestions on what i could get to make my theater better reply, remmeber im only 13 years old and my room is 12' by 11'. i am not building a high end home theater system. here is some pics;

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...u/KIF_2233.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...u/KIF_2232.jpg

cannouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #2

Dude:

See what happens to your credibility when you type something we all understand. Great job on the typing.

But lay off on the "13 year old" reference ...We get it already.

Now wait for serious answers to your now legible questions.

NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Now it's time to get serious.

DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT do ANY electrical work in your house or anywhere else, unless under the direct supervision of a qualified electrician or teacher. By this I don't mean one of your parents watching. I mean someone qualified to do/teach electrical work.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #4

my dad is an electrical engineer who fixed 2 and 3 phase electrical circuits and has taught me alot over the years
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannouu View Post
electrical engineer who fixed 2 and 3 phase electrical circuits
He may be an electrical engineer but that does not make him an electrican. Most engineers would be lost on the job site, they have no clue how stuff works in the real world they deal in a 2 dimension world with there prints on a desk while sitting in a nice coushy chair in a warm office with flushing toliets.

Just like if you asked an electrican to do an engineer job, they would be lost.

On a side note there is a forum for home theater stuff on this site, you would be better posting this type of stuff there.

Two things about your pics, the first one looks very DIY, i would have used two or three plates and used jacks for there were no wires sticking out the walls.

Also those pictures are 5 yrs old, did you do all that when you were only 8 yrs old.

Last edited by darren; 04-11-2008 at 01:22 PM.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #6

i didn't set the clock right, my bad
Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
i didn't set the clock right, my bad
and you feel qualifed to do electrical in your house
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
i also want to get a better outlet dude to alot of components being plugged into one. so how many amp ratings do you recomend that i should buy
Nice job. And nice job on your typing and English too. Look for a multi outlet strip with built in 15 amp over current protection and surge suppression. That should handle your set up. What size circuit feeds your room receptacle outlet and what else is on that circuit? Is it a grounded circuit? Don't fool with the electrical system in your house. Only trained and qualified people should do electrical work. Just like only trained and qualified people should do engineering work.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
Advice worth 2 cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
He may be an electrical engineer but that does not make him an electrican. Most engineers would be lost on the job site, they have no clue how stuff works in the real world they deal in a 2 dimension world with there prints on a desk while sitting in a nice coushy chair in a warm office with flushing toliets.

Just like if you asked an electrican to do an engineer job, they would be lost.

On a side note there is a forum for home theater stuff on this site, you would be better posting this type of stuff there.

Two things about your pics, the first one looks very DIY, i would have used two or three plates and used jacks for there were no wires sticking out the walls.

Also those pictures are 5 yrs old, did you do all that when you were only 8 yrs old.
Darren...how dare you tell stuff like that to this boy about his dad! I'm a licensed master electrician who's heard more than enough talk about engineers but...That's job-site talk and not the kind of bull************ that should be told to a father's son. (sorry to be harsh)

Cannouu....check stuff out with your dad and you'll be fine!

- pete
Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #10

thanks, but im lookin for an outlet that has a circuit breaker or surge protecter built in
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
thanks, but im lookin for an outlet that has a circuit breaker or surge protecter built in
http://www.smarthome.com/865130.html

Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
I'm completing a bedroom to family room conversion featuring a full HT setup w/ a wall-mounted 50" plasma. Obviously, I needed something to provide power on the wall behind the set and I wanted some protection as well. A friend of mine does professional HT installations and recommended Panamax products as they are considered some of the best line conditioning/surge/lightning protection products available. The following is what I installed:

http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-W...POWER-PRO.aspx

It's a bit pricey but provided that it is installed properly, they offer a very good protection program that they actually stand behind.

One word of caution from my experience (and this is not noted anywhere in the instructions or on their website): The electronics are enclosed in a metal can behind the unit. The captive screws make the rear assembly just a hair wider than a 2-gang plaster ring. In my case, I had to file a few grooves in the lip of the mud ring to install.

Good luck,
Jimmy