Home Theater Installation Help Please.... Read Me - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Home Theater Installation Help Please.... Read Me

So we are new here and we have some questions regarding HomeTheater installation on a new construction site. We are building our own new home and before the drywall goes up we need to make some decisions about the wiring for the system... A friend told us about RG6 and CAT5 -not sure what types of cable/wires these are- and Hi Def cable. Ultimately here is what we are going for**** Approx 60in TV w/ surround sound, a wireless receiver so the stereo, TV etc.... cane be riouted through here. I guess what we are after are some tips and tricks from someone who has experience in this field....... all posts will be read, Thanks in advance for the advice

Advertisement

scott&halee' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

run some kind of pipe from the back of the tv and bring it to the reciever so that if you change your mind on something it wont be that bad just change wires they sell smurf tube and boxes for this i wire new homes and thats what we do hope i helped

Advertisement

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

In the room that your going to be doing this I suggest that you have a closet for all the componets cable box, DVD player etc... That closet will be known as your hub and everything will come from the hub. From the hub you should run a CAT 5, HDMI, and a RG6 to your tv. Now they do make a cable that has all these wires bunbled into one but its kinda large and might keep your tv from sitting flat against the wall. Remember you might not be using all those wires but its always good to have them there just in case down the road you might need one for something new that has come out.
When you do your surround sound you should run a 14/2 in wall rated speaker wire from the hub to each speaker. Don't daisy chain them together just run seperate runs of each and make sure you leave plenty on each end. The HDMI cable might be a little expensive but trust me it makes all the difference in the world with high def. Good luck and I will be over for the Super Bowl
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

One more than trust me don't run pipe Just run the wires I said and your golden
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

My best advice would be since you seem to really not know much about this stuff is to get someone in there who does. Don't just run cable that you were told to on the internet with no idea why you are doing it. You may need 3 or 4 HDMI cables from the system to the TV. You may need some component cables, or digital audio cable. It all depends on what components you will have in this system.
There are way more variables than you'll hear from a few replies on a message board.

Get a good electrician who know about this stuff or a HT company to give you some real on-site advice.

You can start by getting a little background. Google is your friend:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/
http://hometheater.about.com/
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/home-theater.htm

Tags
cat5 , hi def cable , home theater , new installation , rg6