Home Theater Dedicated Circuit - Electrical - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 57
Rewards Points: 75

I would put in a separate subpanel for the home theater installation so you have shorter runs to the outlets and isolation from the main panel. A single surge suppressor for your main panel is cheaper and a lot more effective than separate surge suppressors, most of which use MOV's and are worse than worthless as they will shunt current to the ground line and fry equipment. I would want wall outlets separated by utility and and the home theater outlets and two circuits for the lighting. The home theater circuit should have an isolated ground - very important - and the electrician will put in a special outlet with an orange receptacle area. With two lighting circuits you can use wall sconces as well as recessed lighting and dim each separately and control ambient and the back lighting for the TV screen.

When you have TV sets that are really more computer than CRT it pays to have the electronics protected from surges but more important, protected from sags which are drops in current and much more prevalent throughout the country. Plasma screens are more sensitive and during a recent visit to a TV appliance center for the area I noticed that all 7 sets they were repairing were plasma sets.

For sags and surges for the electronics a line conditioner is the best solution as it will maintain a voltage level with isolated transformer coils which provide far and away the best surge protection you can find for residential use. Oneac is one brand that I have used over the years. Beware of the "power conditioners" sold by the audio shops. Everyone I have seen at the CEDIA shows use MOV's which are cheap solid state devices that can easily blow and then do more harm than good in protecting your equipment. MOV's are OK for a $10 surge supressor for your microwave oven but not for anything else you value.


Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000

Run a seperate sub for a home theatre ?
Maybe for a large home theatre or one that's a distance away from the main
But to say to run a sub when he wants 1 circuit is going overboard
You want a sub in a location where you can easily add circuits if needed
Not in a finished wall in a finished space
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 86
Rewards Points: 79

I don't plan to build in a second subpanel. I want to make it good, but within reason. My wife and I bought this, our first house, as an investment, so I want to get the home theater setup in a way that when we sell it will add value, and be simple for someone to use, but meet my desires as well for the next 5 or so years while we fix it up.

I spoke with someone at the local permit office and they were hesitant about the recessed plug behind the TV not being physically wired to any circuit, but they said as long as I have other duplex 15 amp receptacles, a single 15 amp receptacle on the same 20 amp circuit would be allowed. I think once I show the inspector what I am planning, he will be OK with it. I don't see any reason this would be a code violation, because one, as it would be, it has nothing connected to it, it is just wires and receptacles, no electric going to it, and two when I do connect it, it will be on a 20 amp circuit w/ other 15 amp duplex receptacles, thus like if it were physically wired, it would not violate any code.

Edit: It looks like changing my editor settings to standard in the User CP fixed my issue of not being able to include newlines in my posts. For anyone interested, the broken link from the previous post for what I'm planning to use is :
I hate paying $50 for a recessed outlet and cable wall plate that I could get for around $10, but I can't find a power inlet solution anywhere that looks like it belongs in the house. If anyone knows where I can get a power inlet like this that looks like an indoor plug, not one of the metal RV inlets, let me know.



Last edited by rjschwar; 12-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.
rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Licensed Pro
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 1,571
Rewards Points: 1,000

How about Arlington's version?
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 86
Rewards Points: 79

I actually have an outlet already for behind the TV. What I can't find is a male inlet to go down near the floor.

rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 951
Rewards Points: 500

Sags (brownouts) can be problems for some electronics. But some power supplies do their own conditioning. You can tell by looking at the voltage rating on the power supply. All my Dell laptops, for instance, are good down to 100 volts AC.


pyper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home theater size Kurt1968 Home Theater 7 12-04-2009 06:36 AM
Just for fun Andy in ATL Electrical 56 10-20-2009 09:33 AM
My mini home theater room jackie treehorn Project Showcase 10 04-20-2009 02:50 PM
home theater marquee larsarz333 Home Theater 1 06-03-2008 07:44 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1