Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Henry H
Share |

Home Reno Wiring Problem

I am doing a home reno and I have a live circuit empty at the moment. I need to wire in a light switch, light, and two GFI's. When I hooked everything up, I was able to turn on the light and one GFI. The other GFI would not work. I thought that I had everything wired right but if anyone knows how this should be properly wired, I could use the help. Pretty frustrating trying to troubleshoot using all kinds of different combinations but I need to be able to keep all of this wired together if possible so that the light will work and the two GFI's stay working when the light is turned off. Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks.

Henry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Electrician

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Which order are you hooking this stuff up in. Theres is numerous ways to wire it.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Can you post a diagram of what you have done so far, a diagram that also suggests if not accurately shows the locations of the various items?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #4

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Sorry but I don't have a diagram available. Everything can be wired from the live circuit comming in. It can go to any combination of switch, light, and two GFI's. Have tried a few different combos already but looking for some hookup that will allow my light to work from the switch and also keep the two GFI's working even when light is turned off. So far I have been able to get the light to turn on and off and one GFI on when light is turned on but other GFI does not appear to work at all. Any combination of wiring with 14/2 wire would be appreciated to get all this to work. Basically there is a light switch, a light and two GFI's that I want to all work with the light being able to be turned on and off keeping the GFI's working. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Electrician

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Run power to light switch
14/2 out of switch to light
14/2 out of switch to GFI
GFI to GFI

In switch box connect all whites to together, the incomeing black and the black to the GFI goes together along with a pigtail(6 inch piece of wire on the joint). The pigtail goes to the switch along with the black from the light.

First GFI, all blacks to line side, all whites to line side.

Second GFI same as first.

You can put things in any order, the switch box is the only tricky box in this setup.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Darren, first of all, thank you very much. I had things hooked up a little different but your method worked. At first I thought that maybe you meant that the two remaining wires going to the second GFI had to go to load instead of line, but that didn't work either. The problem is still a mystery to me until I switched GFI's around to see if one was possibly defective even though it is new and I think that the reset was stuck because I hooked it up your way and it still did not work on the second GFI and then while taking it apart again, I dropped it on the floor and then re-hooked it up and it then worked. Thanks a lot of the help on this one. The GFI hook up is a little bit of a mystery from a normal receptacle hook up but you gave me good straight up advice. Many thanks.

Henry
Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Electrician

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Most GFI new out of the box to be reset before they work.

Also your second GFI technically is not needed, you could come off the line side of the first GFI and then go to a regular outlet. I know alot of people do two GFI for convenience so they don't have to run across the house to reset a GFI.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Thanks Darren, one more question if you would humor me. I have a single circuit that only has a fridge plugged into it. Can I safely run more runs off of that circuit or is that just about it for that circuit? If I can run more branches off of that circuit, how many more receptacles or lights can I run off of that circuit? Thanks.

Henry
Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
Electrician

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Depends on where you are. In Canada our fridge needs a dedicated circuit. In the US it does not need it owns circuit but i'm not sure if that circuit can leave the kitchen or not.

Somebody may be able to answer this, if no one responds start a new thread to ask it.

You should put your location in your profile for future questions, then we know where you are from and give you a better answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
Henry H (05-20-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #10

Home Reno Wiring Problem

My understanding is that kitchen circuits can't leave the kitchen area in the US
But that area can include the Dining area, breakfast nook & other areas that can be considered part of the kitchen

Our fridge has a Max draw of 11.6a
So if I were to connect anything else it would only be a light or two
I would not connect another outlet where someone could plug something in & trip the circuit
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
Henry H (05-20-2010)
Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #11

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Darren, thanks for the help on that and I wasn't told to fill out a profile when I signed up but I think I fixed it now. I have encountered another small dilema where I have a wire going from a switch to a light. I have a power circuit to the light switch and I want to connect it so that the light will work and I want to branch power to more plug ins from the light switch box. Can you give me a solution to this. I think I know but just wanted to make sure I am on the right track here. I will keep the fridge on a separate circuit as well. Thanks in advance. Henry
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Electrician

Home Reno Wiring Problem

It would the same as before, you have to make a joint and a pigtail in order to continue on with the power.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Mad Scientist

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Whoops, I read wrong before I posted, I thought you were talking about branching out from the light fixture box, not the light switch box. Ignore me, I'm tired!

Last edited by McSteve; 05-20-2010 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Poor reading comprehension.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #14

Home Reno Wiring Problem

Thanks Darren, I thought it would be the same as the GFI hookup, just that there is no line and load on normal plugs so that both blacks would be to the brass screws and both whites to the silver ones and so on down the line. Henry

Thanks McSteve, I thought that maybe you were trying to tell me to do a 3 way switch hookup. NP and thanks anyway. Henry
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #15

Home Reno Wiring Problem

McSteve, if you are still on here, I have a question for you. I have a circuit going to a receptacle. I want to branch off both directions from that receptacle to other receptacles in both directions. I now have 3 - 14/2 wires comming into the first receptacle box. The first wire is power from another source, the second will branch left from the #1 receptacle and the third will branch right from the #1 receptacle. What connection is required here? Thanks. Henry