Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Home neutral wire attached to neighbor

Not sure if this is a problem in term of billing or an overload for the neutral wiring in to our home. We only have two (2) wires from the pole which is positive and neutral. However, my neighbor has a wire coming from his "neutral wire" leading up to my home "neutral wire". He is not home for me to speak with plus everything we touch we get electrical shock. Enough to make you move. hahahaha!!!!

Here are pics showing our line above with a line showing vertical which is the wire I am speaking of. Our home is to the left and neighbor to the right.

Gismo782
Attached Thumbnails
Home neutral wire attached to neighbor-my-pictures0052.jpg   Home neutral wire attached to neighbor-my-pictures0053.jpg  

Gismo782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

The "neutral" wire coming from the utility pole doubles as a "ground wire". It is supposed to be grounded at the panel or switch box containing the master switch or breaker or fuse block for your house. Grounding at the panel includes a fat ground wire (typically #6) connected to a metal water pipe and ground rods (two, 8 feet long and at least 6 feet apart).

In your house modern circuits have a third wire for a ground wire (equipment grounding conductor) accompanying every branch circuit (with hot and neutral wires).

Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

What country do you live in ? This doesn't appear to be in the USA. Regardless you need experienced help ASAP. Getting a strong shock whenever you touch something is likely a life threatning issue.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #4

Ok Guy's get ready for this. I lived in Las Vegas, Nevada and when I retired last year we move to my wife home town and country (Philippines).

There is a fat wire looks to be a #6 that is attached to the breaker box. also the voltage here is 240 unlike the States 110 and we only have two wires, Positive and Neutral.
Gismo782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #5

Well maybe you don't need a third wire (EGC) for each branch circuit inside the house in the Philippines but the neutral still needs to be grounded at your house. See whether the fat ground wire goes to a cold water pipe.

Incidentally the neutral out to the utility pole should be attached to a neutral that goes from pole to pole. On some if not all poles a #6 ground wire comes down to a ground rod at the bottom of the pole.

If the bonding to grounded wires is not good out on the utility pole and large amounts of electricity are being used, it is possible for the water pipe may not provide adequate grounding. Thus in the U.S. ground rods are also needed.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-31-2012 at 06:59 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Gizmo, it is not Postive & Neutral. You have a Ac or Alternating Current system, which means that you would have a single leg of 220 volts, then the Neutral or 110 volt & Neutral. Grounding is usually done as a Ufer due to soil conditions, and that some areas may not have a deep enough soil structure to get a 8 foot ground rod into. See http://www.bohol.ph/article68.html This will also give you another person that is in the PI their perspective of the electrical system http://myphilippinelife.com/our-phil...trical-wiring/

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-31-2012 at 07:53 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote