Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Network

Good Afternoon,

I have just purchased a new home and would like to get this place wired! Idealy I would like to have a central location in the home that I run all my Ethernet, Coax, and Speaker Wire to. I will be re running all the coax in the house and running new Cat-5 to all the rooms.

I can do the cabling myself, but I am wondering about what is the best solution for cable management. I have been looking into some boxes that will house all the cabling but they dont seem to really include all the features I would like. Idealy I would like all the Cat-5 to run to a patch pannel and then to some sort of a switch / router. At the same time I would like all the coax drops to come to an in wall female connector which I can then patch together at a central location.

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to do this and still make it look clean?

MasterZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Home Network

often a sheet of plywood, painted, is about as clean as you can get, if you have an area to mount it that is acceptable.. Add in the proper wire management troughs or hold backs and you can make a pretty decent looking job.

If you want to get real spendy, look into a rack enclosure made for commercial use.

Other that that, the boxes you are speaking about are what's left. You can mount more than one box if you need more room.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #3

Home Network

I ran CAT5e for network connections, leftover CAT3 for phones
I ran it all to the basement near my electric panel
I have a 24 port patch down panel & will add another 24 port at some point
I opted to not go with a cabinet, not one big enough & then you usually have to buy all of their expensive modules to go in it

My video I ran further away from the electric/panels
I used quad R6 (?) for video, I'll pick up an 8 port splitter at some point

I had planned on using l;ike 1x6 to box it all in & then buy a cabinet door for the front
But since my wiring is in a utility room I probably will not bother

I used an inexpensive screw down connection panel for my phone

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Home Network

i recommend going wireless - I basically have one cat-5 cable running the length of the house, attaching wireless access points at either end and to a switch/cablemodem/internet. Computers, printers, Tivo, etc. are wirelessly connected. No extensive wiring, move equipment wherever you want, etc.

My phones (5) are DECT wireless, connected via a OOMA VoIP box to the switch/cablemodem/internet.

Last edited by vsheetz; 02-19-2010 at 06:31 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Home Network

hey sheetz,

who is that guy out front of your house sitting in a car looking like he is playing on a laptop. I walked by earlier and figured he must be playing an online slot machine game or something. He kept saying ka-ching.

just kidding but seriously, I'll stick with wired.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #6

Home Network

I have wireless, turned off at the moment
My hard wired is faster & can't be hacked (from a laptop outside my house)
I've also seen too many people with all security turned off

Quote:
wireless routers only provide wireless data connectivity using a half-duplex protocol (either send or receive data but not both at same time) and this makes them slower than wired Ethernet connections
802.11b is old at 11Mbss, .11g works at speeds UP TO 54 Mb/s
Newer "n" version works at speeds UP to 300 MB/s
Encryption, intereference & other things reduce these speeds

Of course if you don't have a fast home network or Internet connection it really doesn't matter
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

Home Network

Well yeah, you have to ensure your wireless is secured - and interference mitigation has to be given some attention. But it's not rocket science...

Network throughput is typically only an issue if you are often moving very large files around your local network - and the newest wireless technologies are pretty fast. If you need higher throughput on the local network gigabit wired Ethernet is what you want.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #8

Home Network

For wired computer connection in a small business I usually do the following or similar, may give you some ideas:

• mount appropriate sized plywood to the wall, preferably at the the demarc
  • use a commonly available 12 port wall mount patch panel - if you need more ports use 2 of them or a wall mount 19" rack with whatever patch panel port count needed
  • mount Ethernet switch, cable modem or DSL box, and other such devices to the plywood with strips of velcro
  • color code your patch cables - whatever color and function schema you like, but I reserve red for cross-over cables (example - blue for computers, black for printers, green to devices on the panel, yellow for inter device connection, etc.)
  • power everything with a quality battery backup with voltage regulation
Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #9
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Home Network

This is what I did:

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/hou...e/dsc02794.JPG

Everything terminates to that patch panel above. Also since this is new, go with cat6. If you finish your basement do yourself a big favor and go with drop ceiling. That's what I will be doing.

You can get patch panels that are "blanks" so you can put any type of jack you want. Ethernet, Phone, Cable TV, banana jacks etc.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Home Network

I ran coax. Did not realize my cable provider was a 2 cable system......CRAP! had to make another run after everything was closed up.

I love my wireless. That person trying to hack will bypass my home and hit my other 5 neighbors who broadcast their SSID and neglected to change their manufacturer defaults.
ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #11

Home Network

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay on response :P

Thank you for all the great conversation, but what specifically would you guys purchase for cable management? I am looking for the specific components... I need one for Coax mgmt, CAT5e mgmt, and after that remote site home theater mgmt.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Home Network

What do you mean by "cable managment?" Are you looking for rings, looms, ties, etc?

Here is a link to a place I get stuff for work, searched by the keyword "Cable management":

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/search/resu...=0&Find+it.y=0
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #13

Home Network

What I mean is like patch panel, distribution box, etc... but more specific. I have a piece of plywood on my wall, but its just a blank slate right now, I need to fill it in

I need this cable area to house all my CAT5e and Coax for now. At this point I am looking to need something like 13 Coax Runs (2 per room) and 16 CAT5e runs. I just need a nice way to make this all look presentable. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Home Network

The way I would do it, would be:

First, get a small rack to mount to your plywood. Example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4601&CatId=209

Then get a blank keystone patch panel: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4188&CatId=208

Then get the necessary number and types of keystone jacks to put in that panel (RJ45, Coax, etc): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&searchbtn.y=0

A switch to interconnect your network - depending on how many rooms you wire depends on the size of this switch.

Don't forget electricity and some sort of power protection.

Last edited by hyunelan2; 02-24-2010 at 11:49 AM.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
RST
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 150

Home Network

Depending on the strength of your cable signal and length of your runs, you may need a cable booster. You might want to leave some space on your board for that. Splitting coax multiple times reduces the strength of the signal, something like 3dB with each split. You can get combination splitter/boosters.

I need one in in my house, but that's because I have a TV-antenna and some very long (>50 foot) runs.

Robert

RST is offline   Reply With Quote