DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

hold the nuts! (wire nuts that is)

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  nap 
#1 ·
when I was at HD today, I asked the "electrical guru" if they had wire nuts to connect 2 #6 wires. sure, he says but then can't find any! so he says I'll have to use these copper gizmos that run about 5 bucks each that hold the 2 wires and you torque down this nut. that's too much to just connect some wires since I'd need 4. (ok,so I'm "frugal" :yes:) so I asked if code would allow just twisting the wires together,soldering and put some electrical tape on? he said sure. my question is whether he knows what he's talking about or do I need those thingamajigs since I DO want to stay within code.

tnx,

#2 ·
The code does permit soldered connections as long as the splice is mechanically and electrically secure before soldering. (NEC 110.14(B)). Your 6AWG wires are going to be hard to twist together well enough to make a solid splice, and you'll need a high-powered soldering iron. It would probably be easier to find another store with better stock than the Borg.

#4 ·
kingsmurf

I do indeed twist those stranded conductors together . . .solder them and ..yes run a blueWing down on them with an electric torque adjustable
driver

BEE-ootable connection that will outlive me . . but I own my own shop so I have luxury of experience and a mans own standards

roger what the other Sparky said..go to E supply house or another store...LOwes maybe and get some Blue Wings

#5 · (Edited)
The code does not permit simply twisting the wires together and taping them. You have to have a mechanical connection (ie: wire nuts, buchanan crimps, etc.).

Soldered connections must be spliced or joined together mechanically BEFORE SOLDERING and must not be reliant on the solder to make the connection. Simply twisting the wires together is not considered a mechanical connection anymore.

#7 ·
. my question is whether he knows what he's talking
tnx,
No, he doesn't. He is an idiot that should be drawn and quartered for dispensing improper and very possibly harmful (even to the point of lethal) electrical advice.

There are a few employees of those types of places that do know what they are talking about but as a general rule, I would not listen to their advice. A good protion of the time, they are merely repeating what somebody else told them and have no idea as to what actually is legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.