Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

High Voltage Test ??

We are soon having a final electrical inspection done on our renovated home. Somebody told us that the inspector will disconnect a bunch of wires and do some kind of high voltage test. Can someone tell me if this is correct, what it is for, and how it works? Thanks! M

Melanie337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
High Voltage Test ??

Dont know where you live at but in florida they just look for code violations Smokes,Gfci's and so on but no high voltage test never heard of that!!

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Residential Contractor

High Voltage Test ??

That's something I have never heard of either.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

High Voltage Test ??

I work in gas refineries and we do megger test on feeders and load test on breakers , but never herd of anything like that in residential .
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #5

High Voltage Test ??

This type of testing is required to be performed at the factory for Recreational Vehicles and, I believe, manufactured homes. It is not ordinarily required for normal buildings such as houses (at least in the U.S.), although I have heard of inspectors requiring such testing for houses that have been flooded.

Basically, a voltage well above the normal working voltage of the wiring is applied for a short time in order to detect damaged insulation. If excessive leakage current flows, there is a problem somewhere in the wiring.

DAMHIKT, but you should be absolutely certain that all electronic devices such as TV's, computers, etc. are unplugged before the test is performed.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

High Voltage Test ??

Yes, what this is is a megger test. I CANNOT see an inspector performing this test though. That is WAY out of the scope of what they should be doing.

If they really are considering this I would HIGHLY question it and NOT let them. Then contact the highest authority there is in his department.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #7

High Voltage Test ??

a megger is a resistance meter , measured in megger -ohms . It's to check how much the insulation leaks out . It's a good test if a bad wire or a bad motor is tripping a breaker , but like I said , I don't think they would do that in residential . It's possible that they could do some other falt test . I realy don't know .
Old 10-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

High Voltage Test ??

A better, safer test is with a wall oven, a hair dryer and a voltmeter. It checks the resistance of the connections in your wiring.
Re: the megger, your insulation should last 40 or 50 years, and in any case, leakage current may be caught by your GFCIs.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 548

High Voltage Test ??

I think someone is either messing with you, or woefully mis informed. Inspectors are generally not allowed to touch or alter the wiring in the job they are inspecting, the municipalities insurance does not inspectors to act as wire men. The chances of the inspector " disconnecting a bunch of wires" is nil.
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,444

High Voltage Test ??

The ONLY time I have heard of a megger test being performed in a residential is if the home was under water such as after being in a flood. Never heard of megger testing in new construction.

It doesn't megger-ohm it measures megaohms.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

High Voltage Test ??

If the inspector disconnects wires and throws on a megger test, he just accepted the liability for anything was damaged by his test, now or in the future.

Typically performed on industrial and commercial installations, and sometimes underground service wiring, but not a normal test for a residential inspection.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

High Voltage Test ??

To do the Megger test in North America for resdential usage that is pretty rare only time I done that when it get water damaged or someone fuberd up the system.{ I do megger the AFCI circuits so that way I know it will pass beside if the AFCI breaker give me fits I know what to look for }

But in Europe it pretty much standard to do that all the time { I do deal with French Electrical system so I am famauir with their system }

Really the Inspector have no bussiness to touch any type of conductor or wiring expect to just look at it or use the tri lamp receptle tester that only thing they can do otherwise it pretty much hand off due the City/ County / State libilty issue will come up fast.

If the Inspector really want this to be Megger test they have to bow out due conflet of insterst and have someone who is qualifed to deal with this.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #13

High Voltage Test ??

Frenchelectrician
" I do megger the AFCI circuits so that way I know it will pass "
How do you go about megging the " AFCI circuit " Do you megg the breaker before installing and look for a particular low reading ?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
" Euro " electrician

High Voltage Test ??

Electro.,

I do Megger the AFCI circuits so that way I know it is good from that side all I have to deal with some pesky AFCI breakers

That useally most common cupits with AFCI breaker espcally with early generation types.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #15

High Voltage Test ??

Wow....thanks for all the replies. I'll try to find out more. I think I was told that "a bonding screw? would be removed" and, if necessary, all the white wires would be taken off for individual testing (where the power comes in the house). Maybe none of this makes any sense. I'll see what more I can find out. Thanks again! M

Melanie337 is offline   Reply With Quote