High Voltage! Need A 50-75 Kv Transformer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

High Voltage! Need a 50-75 kv Transformer

Hello all. I am new here, but I really wanted some advice regarding where I can procure a high voltage transformer relatively cheap/free (e.g. please tell me what kind of devices would normally have such high voltages on them so I can raid my university junk-piles to possibly find one). I need one that can produce 50-75 kv continuously. I am going to be building a homemade x-ray and this is one of the two most difficult items to procure.

Also, while I have experience with dangerous devices and even electricity, I would greatly appreciate it if you could also give me some safety help on how to operate such a device without harming myself or others. You can provide any links if you don't want to explain it yourself, but please don't flat out tell me to avoid it. I will be completing this project by the end of the summer one way or the other and I could really use some assistance rather than people trying to persuade me against it (this has happened too many times to count for other projects).

Here is the main site I am using for the project: http://www.noah.org/science/x-ray/stong/

Thank you so much!

Advertisement

commandernavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,314

got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

gregzoll (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Nope. Although far unrelated to home improvement, I was hoping some home improvement devices could have a hv supply in them and somebody might know about that here. :/ I will take the post down if everybody thinks that I am cluttering up your forums. Sorry.
commandernavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,806

Fifty to seventy-five thousand volts? I think you are going to need a flux capacitor to generate those kinds of volts.

I tried to convert jigawatts to volts but the calculator didn't have jigawatts.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Neon sign transformers will do 30 kV or so at a few mA. The spark can be drawn out to a half a foot.
To rectify this you need a rectifier tube from a large CRT TV, if you can find one.

Also, look up the circuit for a voltage doubler/tripler.

This project is dangerous for a number of reasons. And, if you don't know what ozone smells like you will soon find out.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-30-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

It amazes me anyone tries to assist in such a dangerous ideas.

Sometimes its better to swallow your pride and not say anything, even though you may know something about the subject.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-31-2012), jbfan (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dissuade him, if you can.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I'm sure I won't, but this site is a place to promote safe practices, and encouraging a homemade x-ray machine by giving advice is in no way safe...the OP even says so himself.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-31-2012), jbfan (05-30-2012), Jim Port (05-30-2012), Ravenworks (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I think you're confused about what you need my friend. Re-read what this piece from the link you provided says:

"The chair glide is lifted temporarily and enough transformer oil or potting compound poured through the -inch tube to fill the interior. When wired according to the diagram [Fig. 231] and connected to the power line, the coil will produce some 50,000 to 75,000 volts continuously. The power consumption at 110 volts and 60 cycles is 35 watts."
LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandernavi View Post
Hello all. I am new here, but I really wanted some advice regarding where I can procure a high voltage transformer relatively cheap/free (e.g. please tell me what kind of devices would normally have such high voltages on them so I can raid my university junk-piles to possibly find one). I need one that can produce 50-75 kv continuously. I am going to be building a homemade x-ray and this is one of the two most difficult items to procure.

Also, while I have experience with dangerous devices and even electricity, I would greatly appreciate it if you could also give me some safety help on how to operate such a device without harming myself or others. You can provide any links if you don't want to explain it yourself, but please don't flat out tell me to avoid it. I will be completing this project by the end of the summer one way or the other and I could really use some assistance rather than people trying to persuade me against it (this has happened too many times to count for other projects).

Here is the main site I am using for the project: http://www.noah.org/science/x-ray/stong/

Thank you so much!
The fact you have come to a diy site for home wiring to learn about a 50-75kV transformer tells me you don't have a clue what you are doing. Before you electrocute yourself why don't you find a safer pastime. 50+kV is lethal, not just an annoying little jolt. Are you filming an episode of Dumba$$?
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Or are you thinking that youll find an easily accessible transformer capable of producing that high of a voltage to avoid the difficult construction of the coil? I don't blame you but I also don't think you're gonna have much luck.
LooseSCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,036

That voltage is challenging, but definitely within DIY reach - as evidenced by all the DIY x-ray projects, DIY linear accelerators, and similar projects on the web. The easiest route, and the only route that doesn't require serious electronics knowledge, is to find an x-ray transformer. They are out there. That's about the only commercial product that requires these voltage/current combinations. The next best approach (which I would choose) is a 15kV neon sign transformer with a 4-6 stage voltage multiplier. A multiplier like that isn't hard to build, and can be assembled from strings of 1kV diodes and 3kV ceramic capacitors pretty cheaply. There are many other ways of solving the problem, but all are more complicated and require much more electrical engineering. Good luck, and be safe!
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Automotive ignition coils can produce the voltage you want....but the current is very limited.....

There are so many issues to over come....

Frequency?

Current?

You might be better off trying to find an old xray machine......hopefully it comes with the lead shielding...

Please tell me that you don't plan on having kids?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,372

What sort of current do you require ?
This is an important consideration.
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 524

As others have asked, what type of current (Amps) are you looking for at that voltage? Just so you can have some idea of the dangers involved in this, please google Arc Flash and do some reading. There are also some rather disturbing Youtube videos of Arc Flash accidents to view.

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high voltage , power , transformer , volt , x-ray