Hi, New Here And Have A Question About Light Switch In Bathrooms - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Hi, new here and have a question about light switch in bathrooms

A little background about me. I recently bought a foreclosure last May. I'm fairly good about DIY type projects. Have some tools, not a crazy amount. Single woman, 35y.o., no kids.

Recently when I switch the light on in two of the bathrooms I hear a pop. I did a quick search online and read everything from hurry change it because your house will explode, to - not a big deal, just switch out the light switch. I have been avoiding turning it on at all just in case.

It's a three function light switch. It's hard to describe, but the buttons I want switched around anyway, if possible. There is on the left side a dimmer for the bathroom lights, under that is a horizontal little button that turns off the power to the lights. On the right side is a regular light switch that controls the exhaust.

Every time someone comes over, they switch everything except that little horizontal button on the bottom. I don't use the dimmer because I have CFLs and they buzz.

So is it dangerous? I'm pretty scared about electrical. Can I buy a new light switch and change the layout? Is it difficult to do?

I already did minor things around the house - painted every room in the house (still have the hallway half done), insulated the garage doors, insulated the pipes under the house, power washed the deck, painted/stained the deck, some other stuff.

Advertisement

Tazznum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

You can and should replace the dimmer with a regular switch, or replace the cfl's
Most slide dimmers have and on/off function like you describe.
Cheap switch can pop when the contacts make.
Now would be a good time to replace both switches.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbfan; 01-25-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: more info
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you! The house was built in 2006 but was vacant for a year, so I'm still learning about what the builder skimped on.
Tazznum1 is offline   Reply With Quote