Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85
Share |

HGTV Holmes Homes

Saw an episode the other night, among other things they installed a new main circuit panel sideways. From what they were saying, the individual circuit cables cannnot come in through the top with the service entrance conductors because they can't rub against each other (they were as far as I could tell in their own knockouts). They indicated the wires needed to come in through the sides and not be anywhere near the service entrance conductors. So they installed a new panel sideways, with all the wires coming in through the side of the panel (now the top).

Did anyone else see this episode? I am very curious as to the validity of the reasons they had to put this panel in sideways.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 8

HGTV Holmes Homes

I did not see the show but have heard of such installations. IMO it is ridiculous and a code violation unless all of the circuit breaker handles are pointing down when they are in the off position. I've also been told that show is produced in Canada so maybe some of the Canadian brothers know more about that situation.

Last edited by brric; 06-08-2010 at 01:39 PM.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

HGTV Holmes Homes

Sideways is a legal install in Canada.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Knows everything but that

HGTV Holmes Homes

I saw that episode also. Now, I know extremely little about electrical code in the US and zero about it in Canada. However, it appeared to me that the wires in suspect were coming through a through the box in the same place the service wire was.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

HGTV Holmes Homes

Here in Canada panels are mounted either vertical or horizontal. Which ever way fits the best.
Any panels that I have ever seen have the breakers on one pole opposite to the others on the other pole.
So if the panel is mounted horizontally, the top pole breakers are moved down to energize the circuit, whereas the bottom breakers are moved upwards.
Of course, if mounted vertically, they are moved towards the centre to turn them on.
How you could have them all move up to to turn them on, I have no idea!
We use panels manufactured in the US and I doubt there is much difference in the panels shipped to Canada.

Last edited by Wildie; 06-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

HGTV Holmes Homes

Good to know the show's done in Canada - I just thought he was an idiot after the commercial I watched clearly stated X about code that is WRONG in the USA.

Sheesh - guess television isn't an authoritative source of information pertaining to code enforcement.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #7

HGTV Holmes Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
They indicated the wires needed to come in through the sides and not be anywhere near the service entrance conductors.
They can come in any side except in the section provided for the service entrance cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Good to know the show's done in Canada - I just thought he was an idiot after the commercial I watched clearly stated X about code that is WRONG in the USA.

Sheesh - guess television isn't an authoritative source of information pertaining to code enforcement.
Didn't your mother tell you to believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #8

HGTV Holmes Homes

Leah Frances - Just curious if you remember what code that might have been. I always like to know what's different up here then down there.
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Electrician

HGTV Holmes Homes

On any combination panel i have seen there is a barrier between where the service conductors are and the rest of the tub. If you came in the top you would have drill through the barrier which is a no no. With this setup it keeps homeowners away from the service conductor which there is no way to turn off.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

HGTV Holmes Homes

I actually like the way they seperate the Main wires/lugs from the rest of the wires
If you watch the show for any length of time its pretty obvious most of the work they do is in Canada
They did do some work down South after Katrina, New Orleans area I think
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Sparkaholic

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

HGTV Holmes Homes

Quote:
Wildie;453057] How you could have them all move up to to turn them on, I have no idea!
You can't that is why it is a code violation in the US! You can't have a breaker handle facing down when on.

There are exceptions to this in some municipalities though. I have seen it done and pass an inspection in Coral Gables Florida where it replaced a panel that was originally installed that way in a space on a wall that would not let it be installed any other way and no place to relocate. But it is rare to see one installed that way!

I just did a job in a condominium where the original electrician saw fit to install all the Square-D meter stacks in all the meter rooms upside down because there were no openings in the top and all the apartments fed from the slab above. So all the main breakers are on in the down position....and he passed his inspection! Albeit 40-years ago

Still very rare to see!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #12

HGTV Holmes Homes

My old roommate (master plumber) used to catch plumbing mistakes and code violations on those design shows all the time. Watching movies was always entertaining too. Between the plumber and the architect we always had a good laugh at some of the ridiculous crap hollywood tries to pass off.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #13

HGTV Holmes Homes

The biggest mystery about that show is how he ever made it as a General Contractor.

I picture GC1 bid = $1,650
GC2 = $2,100
and Holmes = $23,000, "but it'll be done right"
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

HGTV Holmes Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
The biggest mystery about that show is how he ever made it as a General Contractor.

GC2 = $2,100
look at it this way:

GC1 bid= $1650

GC2= $2100

Not having to have the work redone 3 times and pay the cost of an attorney to sue either of the other 2 contractors:

PRICELESS!!
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #15

HGTV Holmes Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post

GC2 = $2,100
Where the money comes for his renos. is a mystery? Mike never works with what he's got! Its rip and tear the whole nine yards.
I betcha that they look over many, many properties before they find one that the sponsor will be prepared to finance.