Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Stay-at-home GC

Share |

Hey, is that egg on your face?

Well whad'da ya know...it is.

So, I always tell people to be careful when taking on any sort of DIY Electrical. The more I learn about electricity the more I think, "Hmmm, being an amateur Electrician is like being an amateur Brain Surgeon" the two are mutually exclusive.

So last year I ran a new lighting circuit for the upstairs bedrooms while I was rehabbing the attic. I've read a few DIY electric books (including several on that recall list) and thought I knew my Hot Wire from a Hole-in-the-ground.

So last week I had a real Electrician out to look at upgrading the Service Main and he says. "By the way, this new circuit is on the wrong side of your split Bus." My whaaa?

So while I'm cleaning up this mess, just a quick reminder, when in doubt sub-it-out (to a Pro)

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog
Well whad'da ya know...it is.

So, I always tell people to be careful when taking on any sort of DIY Electrical. The more I learn about electricity the more I think, "Hmmm, being an amateur Electrician is like being an amateur Brain Surgeon" the two are mutually exclusive.

So last year I ran a new lighting circuit for the upstairs bedrooms while I was rehabbing the attic. I've read a few DIY electric books (including several on that recall list) and thought I knew my Hot Wire from a Hole-in-the-ground.

So last week I had a real Electrician out to look at upgrading the Service Main and he says. "By the way, this new circuit is on the wrong side of your split Bus." My whaaa?

So while I'm cleaning up this mess, just a quick reminder, when in doubt sub-it-out (to a Pro)
Well how many breakers are on the top?

Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog View Post
"Hmmm, being an amateur Electrician is like being an amateur Brain Surgeon" the two are mutually exclusive.

There is some exclusivity. The amateur brain surgeon usually does not get a chance to (try again and) clean up the mess.

You are allowed 6 main disconnects (U.S. NEC) which means the split bus panel with no upstream disconnect may have at most 6 breaker handles* in the top half. Also with no upstream disconnect you need to be sure that the circuits in the upper half can't collectively overdraw the panel and service amperes rating.

*Added later: Including the breaker set that serves the lower half of the panel.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-08-2012 at 05:21 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Stay-at-home GC

Its a 150 AMP service with a 70 AMP Main Disconnect. 6 breakers above the Main (2) 50's, (2) 30's and my (2) 15's.

The Electrician is recommending replacing the meter socket (water intrusion) and upgrade to a 240 Service and Panel. I've read that 240 is over-kill for most applications but the Materials costs are negligible.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplDevilDog
Its a 150 AMP service with a 70 AMP Main Disconnect. 6 breakers above the Main (2) 50's, (2) 30's and my (2) 15's.

The Electrician is recommending replacing the meter socket (water intrusion) and upgrade to a 240 Service and Panel. I've read that 240 is over-kill for most applications but the Materials costs are negligible.
Wow now you lost me how about uploading a picture? What do you mean by 240?? If you mean 240v chances are that's what you have in your house.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:

If it has a main breaker, the 6 handle rule does not apply. You can fill the panel with breakers if it has a main breaker.
The six handle rule is to be able to eliminate the need for a main breaker. You already have a main so it is not applicable.

You already have a 240 volt service. It is the amp (ampere) rating of the panel that is being considered for upgrade.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If it's a split bus you can only have six breakers on the on the top 70 AMP Main Disconnect. 6 breakers above the Main (2) 50's, (2) 30's and my (2) 15's. The 70 amp main feeds the bottom part of the split buss and there 2 50 amp breakers 2 30 amp breakers and 2 15 amp breakers that is over the six throw rule.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Stay-at-home GC

Quote:
You already have a 240 volt service. It is the amp (ampere) rating of the panel that is being considered for upgrade.
Correct.

Sorry, upgrade from 150 amp panel to 200 amp panel. Not 240

Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Sorry, upgrade from 150 amp panel to 200 amp panel. Not 240
Did he mean 250 amp panel? Is there such an animal?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Did he mean 250 amp panel? Is there such an animal?
For the panel ., no I don't recall it but for fuse and breaker yeah I have see it from time to time in stateside but European we do have both 240 and 250 amp breaker and fuse on hand.

Merci,
Marc