Help With Wiring Plan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Help with wiring plan

Forgive the crudeness of my drawing. Not sure if symbols are right or not but thought I'd get some opinions before moving on.

I am finishing my basement, and am in wiring stage currently. I have added 1 15A circuit for the 12 can lights you see in the drawing controlled by 2 switches left/right.

The question is now the plugs. I was planning on installing 3 separate circuits for the plugs, one for the bar area, one for left side of basement and one for right side. The right side will be where all my media/tv equipment will be. Which is why I am separating the plugs on 2 different circuits.

Is it correct to run the homerun for the left side plugs directly to a junction box and go both directions from there like I have shown in the second drawing?

Is there anything wrong with my plan?

Advertisement

jdtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Help with wiring plan

Drawing is nice

Yes, you can run the 2 circuits to a box and then split.

Bar area wall needs a receptacle.

First drawing does not show the GFCI placement.

All circuits require AFCI protection.

Advertisement

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,870

Help with wiring plan

You could skip the junction box and just run one cable left and one right.

The circuit for the recessed needs to be sized for the maximum sized bulb in the fixture, not what you plan on installing.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #4

Help with wiring plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You could skip the junction box and just run one cable left and one right.

The circuit for the recessed needs to be sized for the maximum sized bulb in the fixture, not what you plan on installing.
The circuit will continue along the walls to the outlets by the plumbing drain. I figured easier to split in junction box than backtracking wires in a deeper box with more wires. I was wondering if its OK to do that or should i just install deeper box?

Also, not sure I understand what you are saying about the recessed lighting? Those are on their own circuit separate from everything else. Is there a problem with having 12 lights on the circuit? By my calcs 75W(max bulb size for these fixtures) x 12 is only 900W I was under assumption that could go up to 1400W on a 15A circuit. Am I wrong?

Last edited by jdtox; 09-21-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 77

Help with wiring plan

How large are those rooms? Are you certain the 12 lights will be enough? Personally, I like to install more lights than needed, then hook them up to dimmer switches. That way, I have full control of all of my lighting.

You are correct in that your 15A circuit will be fine for your lighting load calculation. Its actually 1440 W on a 15A circuit.
patented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

Help with wiring plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patented View Post
How large are those rooms? Are you certain the 12 lights will be enough? Personally, I like to install more lights than needed, then hook them up to dimmer switches. That way, I have full control of all of my lighting.

You are correct in that your 15A circuit will be fine for your lighting load calculation. Its actually 1440 W on a 15A circuit.
Its actually one big room. 28 x 26. Or left/right is roughly 15 x 26. I am planning on installing 2 more lights on the left side. On the right side I will be installing different lighting for the bar area. Was planning on putting that lighting on the "bar" circuit.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Help with wiring plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtox View Post
Its actually one big room. 28 x 26. Or left/right is roughly 15 x 26. I am planning on installing 2 more lights on the left side. On the right side I will be installing different lighting for the bar area. Was planning on putting that lighting on the "bar" circuit.
Would an outlet for a refrigerator in the bar area need to be on a separate circuit? If so, should this be GFCI protected?
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,870

Help with wiring plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patented View Post

The load on a 15 amp circuit can be 1800 watts, not 1440. The 1440 would be if the load was considered continuous which would be 3 hours or more by NEC definition.

To OP, some install 65 watt bulbs in fixtures that can accept 150 watt bulbs. That circuit would use the 150 x number of fixtures to size the circuit.
frenchelectrican (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Help with wiring plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
All circuits require AFCI protection.
Depends where the OP lives. AFCI's are not needed out here.

Advertisement

Local134gt is offline   Reply With Quote