Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

help with wiring ceiling fan from a switch controlled outlet

ok first i have a switch controlled outlet with 2 sets of wires going into the outlet both of which are black and white, one is the power and the other is probably going to the switch.the kidat home depot told me i needed 14/2 wire which i bought. just not to sure he knew what he was talking about.how do i make the ceiling fixture run off the switch and have the outlet constantly hot.

teamster807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Contractor - Renovations

Open up the box the switch is in so that you can look inside. If there is just one 14/2 coming in then you will have to run the 14/2 from the outlet up to where you are installing the fan. If there are two, and the whites are together and blacks going through the switch you can come from either box up to your fan. Whichever happens to be easier.

You are working with a finished wall and ceiling I suppose? What is above the ceiling? Attic or another floor?

Last edited by fungku; 08-02-2008 at 09:09 PM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

First off you should NEVER listen to the "kid" at HD. How the hell did he know you needed 14/2????

First, turn off the breaker. At the receptacle wire it in a typical fashion, whites to silver screws, blacks to gold screws (also let's assume everything is grounded from here on). If the receptacle was half switched before you will need to replace it with a new one. Heck, replace it anyway.
Now the wire at the switch box is a constant feed. I would run a "3-wire" (12/3, 14/3) from the switch box to the new fan fan in case you ever want to control a fan/light with separate switches. Match the wire size to what is existing.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Contractor - Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
First off you should NEVER listen to the "kid" at HD. How the hell did he know you needed 14/2????

First, turn off the breaker. At the receptacle wire it in a typical fashion, whites to silver screws, blacks to gold screws (also let's assume everything is grounded from here on). If the receptacle was half switched before you will need to replace it with a new one. Heck, replace it anyway.
Now the wire at the switch box is a constant feed. I would run a "3-wire" (12/3, 14/3) from the switch box to the new fan fan in case you ever want to control a fan/light with separate switches. Match the wire size to what is existing.
If the fan has no light, removing the switched plug means he's gotta turn his lamp on the "hard" way.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #5

well i checked b4 i removed the outlet and its got open ground
Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Contractor - Renovations

Sorry, I missed the part of him wanting the outlet constantly hot.

Hard to read these things with no paragraph structure

Do what speedy petey said.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #7

i don't know how this works the whole forum thing so i don't know if i was supposed to do quick reply or not but there is an open ground on theis outlet i don't know if this makes a difference and what does half switched mean
Old 08-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

If half the outlet is currently switched (meaning one half is always on) then in order for the outlet to work fully as a non-switched or always on outlet you will either need to replace it or wire two hots to the outlet to power up both halves. If the whole outlet was switched on and off then you should have nothing to worry about. Open ground is not a good situation, is there actually a ground wire in the box or is the box metal? Also, did you test the outlet before you removed the outlet from the wall or was it out of the wall at the time? Some people who use metal boxes/conduit tend to rely on the metal frame of the outlet to ground through the screws, there really should be a ground wire to the box in this case (provided the box is metal of course).

Btw, you can use reply or quick reply, it doesn't matter.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #9

i beleive i tested it when i unscrewed it.yes it is a metal box.i spoke with a buddy last night and he told me to wire the outlet like normal and run the hot up to the switch and then run the nuetral straight up to the new fan then from the fan run the 14/3 back down to the new switch. does that sound right.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster807 View Post
i spoke with a buddy last night and he told me to wire the outlet like normal and run the hot up to the switch and then run the nuetral straight up to the new fan then from the fan run the 14/3 back down to the new switch. does that sound right.
HUH? No, that sounds dangerous.
You MUST keep the hot and neutral together in a circuit.

If you splice the receptacle through as normal you should have hot and neutral 120v in the switch box. Just run a 14/3 up to the fan from the switch.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #11

will i be able to control jst the light then and the outlet will be always hot, sorry i feel stupid right now
Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #12

is there any way someone can give me a diagram of what it will look like
Old 08-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I believe Speedy is wanting this.....
Attached Thumbnails
help with wiring ceiling fan from a switch controlled outlet-ceiling-fan-4.jpg  
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #14

SWEET!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #15

Teamster807, Here's another drawing, showing the power coming into the switch box first (there are a couple of ways a switched outlet/receptacle can be wired. There's one more that involves a "switch loop" but that'll only make things more confusing...)
http://www.electrical-online.com/wir...doutletsp1.htm .
As Stubbie points out, you should run a three wire from the switch to the fan. Usually the fan is wired so the light is controlled by either a blue or black with white, striped wire.
Turn the power off (at the panel/fuse box) before starting this project.
Make sure you install a box that's made for (rated) mounting ceiling fans.

You can control the fan/light separately (a switch for each, or a dimmer for the light and a fan speed control for the fan), with a single switch for both (using the pull chains on the fan for control), using a switch (or dimmer) for the light only and pull chain for the fan... pete

petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote