Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Share |

Help wiring a ceiling fan from a half hot outlet controlled by a switch

I am Direct wiring a ceiling fan from a half hot outlet controlled by a switch. The outlet has red and white wires on the bottom (switch controlled) and the top has 2 black and a white. I have pigtailed my black to the ceiling fan with the red on the bottom of the outlet, and the white to the fan with the white on the bottom. When I turn on the switch, I have hot wire all the way to the fan, but the fan and light are not working..am I missing something with the wires on the top half of the oulet that needs to be connected as well?

harleydadokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Do you have a voltage tester? What do you mean "Direct" Wire? Do you want the fan to stay hot all the time and use pull chains? Or do you want to use the switch?

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #3

I do have a voltage tester. When the switch is off, there is no voltage to the fan, when it is on there is. I want the fan to be operated by the switch. I am not using a plug in the outlet, so another lamp can still be plugged in, so the fan is going to be connected to the back of the outlet.
harleydadokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Sounds like you have things wired fine at the switched receptacle. If you are verifing switched power at the fan when the switch is toggled then you do not have the fan and light white wire wired correctly.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote