Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

Help wiring a ceiling fan with 3-way switch and dimmer

I'm a new poster, but I have been using this site for a while to answer a lot of questions. I couldn't find anything that answers this specific question.

I have the setup that I drew below, and I'm not sure what connections that I need to make to complete the wiring. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attached Thumbnails
Help wiring a ceiling fan with 3-way switch and dimmer-wiring-diagram.jpg  

csbaker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Are you running new cables or dealing with old wiring? What is the order of the switches and fan/light compared to the power source?

csbaker80 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

What do you want the switches to do. For example do you want the 3 way action to override the dimmer? Do you want 3 way for the fan and the light to be dimmed and controlled from one location only?
csbaker80 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Jim, thanks for the reply. I actually figured out what to do while I was waiting for a reply. I ran a separate 14/2 directly from the junction box to the fan switch and a 14/2 between the dimmer switch and the fan switch (they are separated by a stud). I connected the whites together and connected a black to each side of the switch. I then connected the black to the red that is running up to the ceiling fan and the white to the whites from the other switches.

I guess another option would have been to run a 14/4 from the first switch to the second set of switches.

Does this sound correct? It works, but I want to be sure that it was done correctly. I can draw out what I did if that will help.

To answer your question - the original single pole switch was old wiring, but now everything in this circuit is new wiring.

This was a serious all day project working with thick plaster walls, but I think that I finally got it done.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #5

Allan, the light is controlled by the dimmer and the 3-way. The fan is single pole.

Please let me know if what I did sounds correct.