Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

HELP! Wiring 2 switches with new light fixture

So I got a new light fixture and the old one was connected to two light switches. Coming out of the ceiling are 3 groups of wires. There is a group of red/white/black. And 2 groups of white/black. So in total I have 3 white wires, 3 black wires and 1 red wire coming from the ceiling.

I connected all of the white wires and all of the black wires together and to the new light fixture, but when I turn the power on the light comes on and neither light switch works. (so i cant turn the light off)

Does anybody have any idea how I should hook up the new light fixture so that the light switches will work again?

michugana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 28

The same as the old one would be correct.
You need to open the switches that go with this fixture and tell us all the wires in them. Tell us which wires are connected to the common terminal of the three way switch.
You need to identify which wires are hot when not connected to anything else.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

on one switcher there is a red/white/black and on the other switch there are 2 reds and a white.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Problem solved.

Red wire from ceiling to black wire from fixture. All white wires from fixture and ceiling go together. All black wires from ceiling go together.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #5

Red wire from ceiling to black wire from fixture. All white wires from fixture and ceiling go together. All black wires from ceiling go together.[/quote]

Help please!! This is the exact scenario in my ceiling box. Now how are the switches wired? I have 1 single switch on one wall with only 1 red, 1 black, 1 white & ground. The other wall switch is a double switch (one switch works an outside light, the other doesn't work at all). The working switch has the red capped with the black from the other cable, 1 black attached to the top right terminal (single pole switch) and feeds into the non-working switch. The white is on the left terminal.

The single switch is a 3 way....but the non-working switch on the double wall switch is a single pole. I've tried replacing with another 3 way and can't get both switches to work the overhead light!
Natalie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #6

You didn't say what wires you have coming from your ceiling so I really don't know. Apparently the way that worked for me is the "old school" way of wiring. If that doesn't work for you, then I would try the traditional way.

White from ceiling to white from fixture. Black from ceiling to black from fixture.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

I have 4 black, 4 white, 1 red (plus 4 ground). When I hook the black from the light to the group of black in the ceiling and white to white, the light works but don't turn off/on with either light switch. When I hook black from light to red in ceiling and all whites together, only 1 switch works.

When I took the old ceiling fan down, a pigtail wire came loose and fell, so I have no idea what it was connected to. Doesn't matter though because when the ceiling fan was up, only 1 switch worked (not the one that works now). So I think it's the way the switch is wired. I have a double gang with 2 single pole switches. 1 works an outside light. The other works the ceiling light now.
The other switch is a single gang 3 way switch, which doesn't work at all now. Since I assumed that this switch and the right switch in the double gang were supposed to both be 3 way, I put in a 3 way in place of the single pole in the double gang. Then, neither switch worked.

I don't need a 3 way switch, but if only 1 switch is going to work, I'd like it to be the single gang so I won't have to walk through the kitchen to turn on the light. But, I think the single gang gets power from the double gang. This is driving me crazy!! LOL

Single gang switch has black, white and red. Red is the common, all are hot.

Double gang has black feeding from neighbor switch that works the outside light, red and white. All but the white are hot on that switch.
Natalie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Not sure how the switches should be wired, but it definitely sounds like the red from the ceiling should go to the black from the fixture and all white wires from ceiling and fixture go together.

I got my answer from a guy on justanswer.com. If the answer he gives you doesn't work, you don't have to pay. All the electricians have ratings and the guy who helped me had over 99% positive. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to michugana For This Useful Post:
Natalie87 (04-14-2011)