Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

help on wiring

Hiya. I am attempting something that I probably should not but at any rate, I am being safe. Bear with my vocabulary as it is not very electricaly technical! The main wire (with black , white and red wires) comes in to a box with three light switches. The three light switches seem to be all randomly connected (blacks together and whites together) There is one wire coming out of this pile into an outlet (it works fine). I want to install a second outlet. (The first outlet is already going out to another outlet so no more room to connect there (unless....do I connect them all together with marrettes?). Whatever. I went from the light switch box into my other outlet (technically the third from the light switch box) BUT....(here's my problem)....If I connect black on one side and white on the other (of the outlet) the only outlet that works is the one that the black is on. I have tried doing some switching around but....what have I missed?
Cheers,
Rach
Rach005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
renovations

help on wiring

When you say "the only outlet that works.." do you mean that the other outlets on the circuit stop working? or that only one of the two receptacles on the new outlet is working? If the second, then perhaps you have used a 'split' receptacle for use in a kitchen? Anyhow, I'm NOT an electrician so wait for some real advice, good luck.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #3

help on wiring

Hiya and yes.....I finally figured it out (but thanks anyways) I was infact using a split receptacle and had not noticed. I chucked it, replaced it and all works fine now. Will keep this forum in my favorites!
Rach005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #4

help on wiring

Rach,

You say you got things working but I have a couple of questions. Is this in a kitchen? The red wire has got me thinking. Where does the red wire connect to in the light switch box? Does it connect, or has someone just used a three conductor wire with the red unconnected? Another thing that got me thinking is that you said you found a split receptacle and chucked it. Split receptacles are a must in a kitchen for countertop receptacles where you would use electric kettles, toasters etc.
'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote