Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:16 AM   #1

Share |

Help with wiring: 1 switch controlling 2 lights

Hello. I'm a new home owner and DIY-er. I have 3 fluorescent lights in my basement. I just replaced the fixtures' older ballasts with new T8 ballasts in the first two lights and they work fine. I am having trouble with the third light's wiring to the ceiling. I cut and removed the old ballast without paying much attention because I was able to wire the first two lights without any problem. I connected the new ballast to the bulb sockets in the fixture, just like I did with the first two lights. When I went to connect the ballast's black and white power lines to the ceiling lines, I was thrown off by a red wire, which I guess is connected to the light switch. In addition, this light is connected to the one of the other fluorescent lights and both are controlled by the switch. I have attached pictures of how I have it wired.

The way I have it wired now, the other light turns on and works fine when the switch is flipped. However, this light has the bulb flicker and then not turn on. If anyone can tell what I'm doing wrong from looking at the pictures, I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with wiring: 1 switch controlling 2 lights-1.jpg   Help with wiring: 1 switch controlling 2 lights-2.jpg  

Last edited by streko; 05-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.
streko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Does anyone have any thoughts?

streko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Cap the red wire and try putting the ballast black with the other blacks.
If that doesn't work then open the switch and tell us the wires in the switch box.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by streko View Post
In addition, this light is connected to the one of the other fluorescent lights and both are controlled by the switch. I have attached pictures of how I have it wired.
SO the lights are kind of "daisy chained" together from the switch? Check the connections at the 2nd light and make sure all connections for this 3rd light are secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with wiring: 1 switch controlling 2 lights-3-lites-daisy-chained.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
SO the lights are kind of "daisy chained" together from the switch? Check the connections at the 2nd light and make sure all connections for this 3rd light are secure.

Nice pic, Hammer. Did you do that? Got any more?
puttster
puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Nice pic, Hammer. Did you do that? Got any more?
puttster
Heres one from a previous post about a 4-way switch arrangement with 11 can lightst. Make them with Microsoft paint program.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with wiring: 1 switch controlling 2 lights-4-way-11-can-lites-2.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #7

The ballasts are wired the same way? If its on but flickering or only has its ends lit it is probably a lamp/tombstone/ballast issue.

It seems more likely that the way you have it connected that it might not be doing anything at all. If this is the case try putting the wire from the ballast with the 2 blacks tied together instead of the red.

AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote