Help W/wiring Diagram-separate Bath Light And Fan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help w/wiring diagram-separate bath light and fan

A fella at lowes drew this for me about 2 months ago. Now I go to do the project and I look at it and go huh? Right now all I have is feed (no ground) "coming in" and going through bathroom light and "leaving" to feed 2 more lights and outlets in the basement.

He sold me type nm-6 14-3 wire, it has white black red and ground. "ExF" is exhaust fan, the light is the hollow circle and "S1 S2" are switches, one for light one for fan.

So 3 questions:

1. Do I only need one junction box where the feed comes and goes, represented by the 2 dark dots at the top of the drawing?

2. I do not really understand what to do with the 14-3 wire, the diagram says "black w red" but wont the white and ground be with it too since its all the same wire? And how does this wire connect on each end?

3. Do you recommend a different scheme because this drawing makes no sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Help w/wiring diagram-separate bath light and fan-img_3348.jpg  

Advertisement

lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

If the feed goes right by the switch location then the switch box can be the junction box for the feed and any other continuation of the feed elsewhere.

If the feed goes to the light/fan box in the ceiling then that box can be the junction box for the feed and any continuation of the feed on elsewhere.

If the feed after being cut to come in the light box is not long enough to splice back on to its continuation leaving from there, then you need to put another junction box where the feed coming and leaving both reach and run a short length of 14-2 from there to the light box (a big T shaped run).

2. The "black w red" means black white red.
The black wire of the 14/3 cable is supposed to connect from the light (hot lead, may be black or red or blue) to S1. The red wire of the 14/3 is supposed to connect from the fan hot lead (may be blue or black or red) to S2. The other wire (white) connects from the feed (black dot above) to both S1 and S2 using the line that looks like an L in your diagram.

3. The diagram as-is suggests to me that the feed goes to the light/fan box in the ceiling which also corresponds to the black dots in the diagram.

In each box, connect together all the bare and green (ground) wires. Extra bare wire should be run to the green screw on each switch and run to the cluster of bare wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Help w/wiring diagram-separate bath light and fan-elect33.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
lateralus (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I should have clarified that the light and fan will be separate units/boxes. I am adding the exhaust fan to the current configuration. The light will be a vanity light above the sink and the fan in the ceiling above the toilet. I explained that to the lowes guy but looking at his drawing now I wonder if he got that.
lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

I would make the bathroom lighting 1 circuit, and the outlet/outlets in the bathroom (have to be GCFI protected) a separate circuit. Do not feed the basement, since you can not feed outlets & lights in another room from or to the bathroom by NEC guidelines. What you are wanting to do, is not code compliant, and would fail if inspected.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

The above assembly, with 14 gauge (14-3) cable, may not serve receptacles in the bathroom but could be tapped off of another circuit to feed the light and fan as shown.

One 20 amp (all 12 gauge) circuit may feed lights, fan, and receptacles in just one bathroom, or may serve just receptacles in one or more bathrooms. Run the cable nonstop (home run) from panel to bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Help w/wiring diagram-separate bath light and fan-elect34.jpg  

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will need some 14/2 to go from the attic junction box to the fan and light.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote