DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   help w/ dimmer switch (

Mack V 02-15-2008 09:29 PM

help w/ dimmer switch
I am getting ready to replace our kitchen table dimmer switch. I am looking online and see two options. One is a 3 way dimmer switch the other (cheaper) one is not. They both look identical. Which one do I need.
The switch has a on/off w/ a small slider next to the switch. The light that it controls has six small bulbs and a larger bulb in the center w/ a option to turn off the larger center light, have all of them on or just have the larger bulb in operation if that makes sense.
Thanks for any help.

jbfan 02-15-2008 09:51 PM

If you can control this light from more than one switch, then you need a three way dimmer.
If you can control from one switch, then you need the single pole dimer.
How do you control the different levels of lights now?

Mack V 02-15-2008 10:09 PM

It is turned on by only one switch on the wall. The two sets of lights has the switch on the light fixture where I can have both (six small bulbs) and the large light on, just the six small bulbs on or just the large bulb on.

goose134 02-15-2008 10:23 PM

Then you need a single pole dimmer switch. I have to say this, but I don't think it applies here: make sure a standard incandescent dimmer is the one you need. If the fixture is not low voltage or flourescent, then you are OK. If it is either of those, report back and we will direct you further.

Mack V 02-15-2008 10:27 PM

It is neither of those two so I need the single pole. I really appreciate the help. :)

goose134 02-15-2008 10:30 PM

No problem.:)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1