Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

Help with type of wire for network, cable, etc

I am re-wiring my office (small contsruction co) and want to include the proper cables & boxes needed for my phones, networking the comps, cable/internet and video for sec cameras . Do I need a seperate smurf for each type? I do not plan to smurf the cat 5 for phones. What else do any recommend to pull. any and all help is welcome.

Thanks in advance, tony

tonyBagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

I started writing out what I would suggest and then realized how many options I was trying to include and figured it would be easier to ask you a few questions first.

cameras can use a variety of connections. have you spec'd the cameras yet?

do you have a server or common data room somewhere in the floor plan?

How are you viewing the sec cams? If independent monitors, where are they located?

what type of internet service (DSL/ cable broadband, ??)

I know there are more questions but that is what I could think of quickly.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Well for starters are you tearing it all down to the studs? If so no need for smurf tubes unless u plan on adding on other stuff in the future. For boxes anything low voltage can go in hollow cut ins or hollow screw on's. For a small network i would go with cat5e. If you plan on a large network go with cat6. If you want to certify the network you cannot use staples or zip tie's. You need to use special Velcro straps and you cannot exceed a 45 degree bend on the network cables. You can run cat5 for the phones. As for the cameras use a Siamese 18/2 rg59 or rg6 cable or you may only run a power and cat5 for ip cameras. It is more expensive but you are running power and the coax all in the same run. Also you do not need smurf tubes if you can snake well. The only time we use smurf tubes is in new construction where down the road we are going to be pulling hdmi cables and other goodies for tv install. If you do end up putting smurf tubes everywhere make sure to leave a drag to make your life a lot easier.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #4

Good info. I am going to the studs and adding 2 rooms as well. The smurf is for posssible future changes in wiring needs if the office config changes or something new and improved comes along. Am I understanding that cat6 is ok for comp networking? Thanks again
Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

NAP....... Not decided on camera and likely they will tell me cable needed ok I smurf it and problem solved I do have a "homerun" room and will pull all there Only gonna hacve 2 cameras with a single monitor . Some suggested I buy a 499 job from Costco taht will suit me fine. Small office and small yard to watch
Internet is thru qwest so its over phone lines (cat6??)
Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

As long as those cameras are not going outside i would say your fine. I have replaced ton;s of those cameras from kits like that because people put them outside and they fill up with water. if you are really going to put them outside at least make sure they are under an overhang. If you are going down to the studs and there wont be any fore blocks on the way than you really shouldn't waste the money on the smurf tube. the only reason for the tube is for faster fishing with less headaches. Yes you can use cat6 but than all your routers and switches need to be cat6. Unless you plan on going all out cat6 than don't bother cat5e will do just fine. You can run the phones cat5 and be fine. You will than have the ability to have up to four phone lines on one jack or you can get a 4 spot plate and make each jack a separate line. There are numerous configurations.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Contrary to chevyman, I'm a conduit kind of guy. I prefer a conduit to each box/LV ring. I have fought too many walls to chose to fish over a conduit.

for cameras, there are a variety of installation systems available. When you get away from what would be considered home use, you have cameras that use coax, cat5 or 6 cable, and some of the home systems use wiring schemes such as component systems (the yellow, white, and red banana connectors like on the video card of a lot of computers and other devices).

some commercial level cameras use 120VAC for things like pan, tilt, and zoom. Some use a low voltage for that. Some outside cameras have heaters in their enclosures as well.

I would suggest either narrowing down what you will probably use although it sounds like you are going to be considering systems where you could get away with running 1 conduit to a single gang box/LV ring at each camera location.

Depending how you are monitoring this, you would need the cable from each camera to meet at a common point where they would connect to a switcher. From there you need to have what ever the output of the switcher used to the monitor. You will need to figure out if you need conduit and a box/LV ring at some placement for the monitor.

something to think about: many camera systems can be set up to be viewed through your computers monitor. that means no additional monitor, can often be viewed via the internet from remote locations, and can often use your HDD to record the activity with programs available so it will only record if there is actual activity on the camera shot.

a cat 5e (actually cat3 is generally acceptable but in smaller installations, I typically use 5e as I generally have that more available than 3) to each phone station. don't forget one for the fax machine if phone connected

a cat 5e or 6 to each computer station. Depending on what you your system is capable of, cat5e is still adequate for most systems but cat6 wouldn't hurt if there is any doubt. don't forget one for the fax machine if internet connected

phone and data systems can run in common conduit to a single single gang box or LV ring.

You will generally be required to supply a dedicated 120 VAC circuit and often to a double duplex for the phone company (qwest is phone too?) systems needs.

You will need power for a variety of euipment in the server/data room on top of what qwest requires. Hard to determine how many circuits yet but better to provide for too many than too few.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #8

A ptz will cost 1500 at least. He doesnt need that kind of camera. I do agree with nap there is no better protection than conduit. It all depends on how much you want to spend. For a server and comp equipment I would run isolated ground recep's.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #9

Thanks much for all the help. I do plan on using smurf to the boxes. I dont like "fishing" either. Its cheap and ez.

Again many thanks