Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |
Question

HELP!!!!! Two 3way dimmers to 3 lights

Hey guys. I have a problem hoping someone could help me with. I understand how to run 2 3-way switches to 1 light, but am a little confused on how to run it to multiple lights. Here is a quick little Diagram I drew up on MSPaint. Sorry it's so lame, but it should give you guys a better idea.

S1 is the first dimmer switch, the one I would run direct power from the box too. S2 is my second dimmer switch. L1,L2, and L3 are the lights I need to wire.

Oh Yeah. The switches are all 15 amp, I have 14-2 wire to run from the box, and 14-3 wire to run from the switches to the lights.

Any advice would be great. Videos or diagrams would earn bonus points, but anything will help. Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it.

Gregg

eli622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #2

3-Way dimmer switch

Is this my answer????

eli622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

The easist way is to run 14/3 between the switches and 14/2 from one switch to the lights.

Follow this post.
3-Way dimmer switch
Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #4

A three way dimmer kit consists of a light control module and a remote control module, both of which require a neutral. (The terms master and slave are also used although it is actually ambiguous as to which module is really the slave.)

Run 3 wire cable between the two switches.

Run the power feed to one of the switches.

Connect up the various lights using 2 wire cable.

Run one 2 wire cable from a light box to a switch box. Put the light control module in this box.

(for those eavesdropping) If you must connect the power feed to a light box, you must run 3 wire cable from that point to eventually get to a switch box while any remaining light fixtures can still be wired using 2 wire cable. It is still best to connect the two switch boxes to each other using a (3 wire) cable that does not go through light boxes.

Because neutral is needed and used in every box, the simple rule of connecting all whites together applies.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-23-2009 at 07:45 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #5

Choose any method you like for wiring one light and hook it up. Then run 14/2 cable from the first light to the other two.

With your layout I would probably go
power - S1 = S2 - L3 - L2 - L1
Old 09-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
I understand how to run 2 3-way switches to 1 light, but am a little confused on how to run it to multiple lights
Simply run a 2 wire cable from one light to the next, and the next, and as many as you want....to a point. Then hook up the lights blk/blk, wht/wht.

It's so simple, a caveman could do it.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote