Help With Thermostat - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help with thermostat

Thanks in advance for reading.

I'm fairly handy but don't have a lot of electrical knowledge - enough to replace switches, lights, etc, and enough to know to turn off power and not touch live wires. But not much more.

I have a wall mounted electric heater in my bedroom. The only thermostat is the one built into the unit. I'm not sure what happened to it, but if you turn it on to any number (1 - 10) it goes on, but then will just stay on continuously. So I imagine I need to find out if 120 or 240, but is there a replacement I can put into the unit where the existing one is or do I have to buy a wall mounted one and then connect it from the baseboard up to somewhere in the wall (not sure exactly how to do that - I've never run anything up through a wall, but I'm sure with some direction I could). For those that want to tell me to hire someone, its not going to happen, so good advice is greatly appreciated!

Cold in Boston

Advertisement

lrubin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,258

help with thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrubin28 View Post
I'm fairly handy but don't have a lot of electrical knowledge -
enough to replace switches, lights, etc, and...

I have a wall mounted electric heater in my bedroom.
The only thermostat is the one built into the unit.
I'm not sure what happened to it, but if you turn it on

...is there a replacement I can put into the unit
Of course. Start with the appliance parts stores near you.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 800

help with thermostat

Time for a new heating unit.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,398

help with thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrubin28 View Post
Thanks in advance for reading.

I'm fairly handy but don't have a lot of electrical knowledge - enough to replace switches, lights, etc, and enough to know to turn off power and not touch live wires. But not much more.

I have a wall mounted electric heater in my bedroom. The only thermostat is the one built into the unit. I'm not sure what happened to it, but if you turn it on to any number (1 - 10) it goes on, but then will just stay on continuously. So I imagine I need to find out if 120 or 240, but is there a replacement I can put into the unit where the existing one is or do I have to buy a wall mounted one and then connect it from the baseboard up to somewhere in the wall (not sure exactly how to do that - I've never run anything up through a wall, but I'm sure with some direction I could). For those that want to tell me to hire someone, its not going to happen, so good advice is greatly appreciated!

Cold in Boston
Make and brand of baseboard heater ... should be a data nameplate on it somewhere. Use this to look up a replacement thermostat. It could also be a heating element problem or voltage problem. Not going to tell you to hire anyone as purchasing an entire new heater would be more cost effective. A wall mounted thermostat would be fine also.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote