Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

Help with a Step Up Transformer

I need to install 2 220v outlets for a new drier and a new oven. The problem is the panel needs to be modified, it's a long run for the wires, etc etc etc. Basically, it'll be expensive.

So, would something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/5000-Voltage-C.../dp/B003UQMDWY

Assuming I get one for each device and plug them into different outlets on different circuits, would this be a viable option?

TheConsumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
I=E/R

Your project is vague. Why can't you run straight 240 volts to the dryer and oven? How do you think this transform will help?

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConsumer View Post
I need to install 2 220v outlets for a new drier and a new oven. The problem is the panel needs to be modified, it's a long run for the wires, etc etc etc. Basically, it'll be expensive.
This makes NO sense at all.
WHY would the panel need to be modified?

Quote:
So, would something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/5000-Voltage-C.../dp/B003UQMDWY
Nope. Not even close.

Quote:
Assuming I get one for each device and plug them into different outlets on different circuits, would this be a viable option?
Again, NO. You CANNOT pull from several different receptacles to get the required voltage and amperage you need.

You are oversimplifying this, especially since you found that converter which is being sold as an easy fix.

To use a 120-240v step up transformer for an oven you would need an approximately 60-80 amp 120v circuit. This simply does not exist.

Sorry, there is NO easy/cheap/quick fix for this.
Just run the appropriate circuits for the appliances.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Your project is vague. Why can't you run straight 240 volts to the dryer and oven? How do you think this transform will help?
You know, because it is such a long run. I am going to take a stab at it, but I would probably guess that they have no working knowledge of how electricity works, or that they live in an apartment or rental, and can not run a dedicated 240v for the equipment.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #5

When you step-up a voltage, the amperage decreases!

So how are you going to power an electric range or dryer from a 15 amp or 20 amp 120 volt outlet?

What are the amperages of your range and dryer?

Then some ranges/dryers need both 240 volts and 120 volts. The 120 volts is for the controls. That would be two hots, a neutral, and a ground. Or 4 connections.

I only see 3 connections on the above gizmo. I think that gizmo is intended to convert voltage in Europe to U.S. voltage and the other way around.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Actually Billy Bob, it is for test benching, not for overseas. The better units cost a couple of thousand of dollars.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 46

We all know that the OP has no clue....but for the sake of education.....lets go through the numbers.

Dryer needs about 20A @240Vac
Typical oven, at least 30A @ 240Vac.

That is a potential load of 50A @ 240Vac, or 12,000W.

Since the intent is to 'step up' the voltage to supply the required 240Vac, the OP would need a 120Vac source with about 100A.

The unit referenced in the link is a solid state inverter....on a good day it 'might' give you 20A at 240Vac....but you would still need a 120Vac 40A supply....and some big wire. Truth is, I doubt that inverter has the umph to even start the motor on the dryer. I don't even want to think what the waveform looks like.

Now, lets consider a step up transformer. One that is good for 12Kw.....you can get a cheap one for about $350. The doctor bills for you back lifting it will be a lot more.

So....looking at the "numbers", I don't see how a step up transformer is going to be the cheapest option.

To the OP.....if your load center (circuit breaker panel) does not have 240Vac available, then there is no way it will have enough 120Vac power to do what you want.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
TheConsumer (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

a7ecorsair: sorry about the vagueness. Not my forte, and just trying to quote an electrician that gave me an estimate.

Speedy Petey: I'm looking for answers not condescension. I appreciate the honesty in spite of the tone and am going the route you and others suggested.

gregzoll and ddawg16: Good guesses, and great info! The run is easily 150ft from an upstairs breaker panel to a downstairs garage and kitchen in a house I'm renting. The breaker panel is full, and the electrician said he would have to do some rewiring. Looking at it now, it appears as if there are several unused circuits, so perhaps it won't be as elaborate as initially thought. Thanks again for the info!
TheConsumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
not condescension.
For REAL condescension try the 'Rock of the Marne' guy on Terry Love's
Forum.
And they made him a moderator. . .
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
...The run is easily 150ft from an upstairs breaker panel to a downstairs garage and kitchen in a house I'm renting. The breaker panel is full...
Sometimes "space saving" breakers can be used which are half the size of full size breakers. So one breaker could be replaced with two, freeing up a slot.

Then for long runs, the problem is called "voltage drop". You can use a larger size wire to remedy that.

So far as cost, it might be cheaper to find another place to rent which already has a range and dryer?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

The key word is rental that have to be done by electrician you can not do this yourself and you have to talk to the landlord on this situation and I know you mention the electrician is there so let the landlord deal with the electrician and go from there.

Merci,
Marc

Tags
220v, appliances, transformer