Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #1

Share |

Help with service cable

Me and my father had BGE come out to our house and tell us our service cable had snapped and needed to be replaced. (They wont fix it for us so its either some odd expensive electrician or do it ourselves.) we know basic indoor electric, but the service cable doesn't fall in that category. Umm, we arent really sure on the whole process and what cable to even use. Any assistance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

qwertyperson326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Help with service cable

Are you talking about the SE cable from the meter up to the weather head or from the meter to the service disconnect? Either of these cables require that the meter be removed and the service disconnected by the electric utility company. A permit from your jurisdiction will be required and they will inspect before they tell the electric utility to reconnect the service.

You do not say where you are located, but you will have to find out if the jurisdiction will allow you to pull the permit and do your own work. If they do not allow it, you will have to hire and electricain.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Help with service cable

Thanks for the quick reply
Sorry, New at all of this for the most part. I'm more of a computer guy then electrical

BGE (Electric company)
All that they had said about it is that the service cable had snapped.
We still had power but the power wouldnt evenly distribute throughout the rooms in the house. Plug something in one room and lights would go out in the next. Not really sure which one it is. BGE didnt specify on which had snapped, just to call them after we fix the service cable. Hearing this and not knowing the outdoor electric, I thought it'd be fast and easy. Couldnt find a service cable at home depot so thought I'd come on here and just ask to see if it was something special or if I could just use a certain size wire to do the job.
I would guess its from the meter to the weather head just looking at where they were looking.
qwertyperson326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Help with service cable

I know this is a DIY forum, but based on what you say. I think you need to bite the bullet and call an electrician.

I am pretty competent electrically but I know where to call the line. Two years ago a tree came down on my electric service and bent the mast (2 inch pipe from the weather head to the meter socket). Even though I could have pulled the permit and done the replacement myself, I called a licensed electricain for the repairs. He replaced the mast and the cables; money well spent.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

Help with service cable

What rocket science led BG&E to conclude your service cable had "snapped?" That's not a term typically associated with electrical problems.

Maryland rules are probably by county. When I lived in Frederick County, a homeowner could not do any of their own electrical work, or plumbing either.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Experienced

Help with service cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
I know this is a DIY forum, but based on what you say. I think you need to bite the bullet and call an electrician.

I am pretty competent electrically but I know where to call the line. Two years ago a tree came down on my electric service and bent the mast (2 inch pipe from the weather head to the meter socket). Even though I could have pulled the permit and done the replacement myself, I called a licensed electricain for the repairs. He replaced the mast and the cables; money well spent.
X10 This is definately a job left to one with know how, tools, and most importantly a LICENSE!
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Scared Electrician

Help with service cable

are you on a farm? It sounds like you are talking about a overhead run, not on the wall.

this sounds like a broken neutral hence why they want you to fix it. If so you are much better off calling a pro, thats just hard to find and fix.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Electrical Supplier

Help with service cable

My level of skill stops at the meter. Anything that cant be D/Ced without pulling the meter is stuff that I do not touch.

Get an electrician partner.

Your AHJ/Inspectors ALWAYS have the final say on ANY electrical code issue.
If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

Help with service cable

Both Baltimore City and Baltimore County will require a permit which can only be pulled by a licensed electrical contractor.