Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Help running 220 from basement to 2nd Floor

I just bought the house here . It has a full size basement with attic. the attic has flooring.

What i need help with is my washer and dryer are in the basement and we want to move them to the 2nd floor. There is a little room, right off the bathroom that looks like it was a washer dryer room, once upon a time. There is no 220 there. As far as plumbing. there is a cubby hole where the pipes to the bathroom are easealy assessable. I just have no clue how im going to running this cable all the way from the 2nd floor to the basement without putting alot of holes in the wall. this house is like 120 years old. Does anyone know how to run wire?

Last edited by vjw757; 02-20-2008 at 12:03 PM.
vjw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjw757 View Post
I just bought the house here . It has a full size basement with attic. the attic has flooring.

What i need help with is my washer and dryer are in the basement and we want to move them to the 2nd floor. There is a little room, right off the bathroom that looks like it was a washer dryer room, once upon a time. There is no 220 there. As far as plumbing. there is a cubby hole where the pipes to the bathroom are easealy assessable. I just have no clue how im going to running this cable all the way from the 2nd floor to the basement without putting alot of holes in the wall. this house is like 120 years old. Does anyone know how to run wire?

Without seeing the house your really on your own, but if you want some ideas here you go, look for stacked closets on each floor and you can run conduit in the closests from basement to 2nd floor..
Find the plumbing vent, it will be a very good spot to drop a weighted string down to the basement... check the outside walls for balloon framing...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #3

While I have no answers for you, I did find it really cool that you had a link to your house. I wish I still had a link to the house we bought 6 months ago.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Quote:
Find the plumbing vent, it will be a very good spot to drop a weighted string down to the basement... check the outside walls for balloon framing...
Chris read my mind. The house appears to be the correct age to have incorporated balloon framing. This means that there are no stops in the framing of the house from top to bottom (usually). He is again right to look by the plumbing stack, which will suit your purpose just fine. Good luck! Great house, by the way.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
Chris read my mind. The house appears to be the correct age to have incorporated balloon framing. This means that there are no stops in the framing of the house from top to bottom (usually). He is again right to look by the plumbing stack, which will suit your purpose just fine. Good luck! Great house, by the way.
Not my first big bus ride...

Also to the OP, your house is awesome, did you really pay $80,000 for it?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Not my first big bus ride...

Also to the OP, your house is awesome, did you really pay $80,000 for it?
Welcome to upstate NY!

I couldn't believe when we were selling my in-laws house for their estate. It was a 5 bedroom on a 1/2 acre lot, and sold for $70,000. My brother-in-law bought a big house that needed a couple things done, but with all new mechanicals for $50,000.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
The only problem I have run into before fishing through balloon framed walls is the "bottom plate" in my house is a 6X6, so I was able to get from the attic to that no problem, but getting through it was another issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Welcome to upstate NY!

I couldn't believe when we were selling my in-laws house for their estate. It was a 5 bedroom on a 1/2 acre lot, and sold for $70,000. My brother-in-law bought a big house that needed a couple things done, but with all new mechanicals for $50,000.
If the housing market in Upstate NY was stronger, it would be a rehabbers wet dream! I see lots of tax forclosures and bank forclosures. I almost bought 3/4 of an acre with 80' road frontage for $750 a few years ago. A friend of mine picked up a 2 br 1100sq ft house that was very run down but structurally sound for $13,000 rehabbed it and is now a rental at $650 a month. Most people see the prices of housing in Upstate NY and think it's dirt cheap, but the reality of it is the area is very economically depressed (I am talking about UPSTATE Upstate, from north of Lake George out west to Syracuse) and $80,000 for a house is alot for the average home owner!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #8

Yep. It's not cheap, it's depressing. It's a great place to buy a house if you've got a secure job. But it's certainly not a place to try to speculate on property. Especially not now! Everytime I visit it strikes me as an area that has very little promise. The industries left. Farming is pretty much gone. All they've got going for them is a so-so tourist industry.

All this said - there are some very nice old houses in that area, and it's great to seem them in nice condition. The OPs house looks really nice, and I'm jealous that they can buy that house where they want to live for that price.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote