Help With Replacing Recessed Lighting From The 80's - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with Replacing Recessed Lighting from the 80's

I am trying to replace my recessed lighting fixtures with some updated LED recessed lights and replace the yellowed trim with new white trim, but have run into a snag.

I unscrewed the lightbulb and then proceeded to remove the trim so I could remove the old yellowed trim and replace it. When I removed the trim of the recessed lighting, I discovered the trim and the can housing were all one piece. In order to replace the trim I would need to also replace the can housing. Apparently the fixture that the builder installed has the trim and the can as all 1 solid unit, i.e. in order to remove the trim the whole can housing has to come out with it. The housing/trim piece is held in place with clips that have been attached to the sheetrock.

There is now a 6" hole exposed in my ceiling with a dangling socket, while the housing/trim combo piece in my hand. I've looked all over the home depot store looking for a new trim piece that will work with my setup, but everything requires a can housing. I can't find anything that will work without installing a new can housing. All the wiring is already there and setup, but all the new trim pieces I can find require a can housing to hold it in place.... UGH!

Now I am not an electrician, nor do I know how to install a can housing. I really don't want to be wiring things I am not an expert in. Additionally there is not attic access since there is another floor above this light. Are there any options out there that will work with my setup or do I need to call an electrician to put in a new can housing so I can replace the recessed lighting trim?

I put everything back together since I couldn't find a solution. If anyone would like a picture of the setup let me know and I can take it apart again and snap some photos.

Advertisement

Last edited by scubakathy84; 11-03-2012 at 05:45 PM.
scubakathy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Not sure without pictures.
If there just yellowed why not degrease them and paint them?

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Post a picture or two. Can you place a new trim ring over the existing one?