Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help-power on and off/flickering light

I am not an electrician but I came upon this forum for help. About 2 weeks ago an electrician friend of a friend came to my house and he upgraded and the old fuse box to a circuit braker. A week past and we noticed flickering lights only in my living room and hallway (same switch). Well yesterday the flickering started getting worse and it included the kitchen along with the appliances that where connected to the outlets in the kitchen and living room. After the flickering, the power turned off in those areas of the home. My three bedrooms and bathroom still have power. A couple of hours will pass and the power will come back only for a while before it turns off again.

I tryied calling the electrician but it seems that he is ignoring my calls. Please any help of what this could be? I switched the circuit brakers already and that does not work.

Mike36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike36 View Post

I tryied calling the electrician but it seems that he is ignoring my calls. Please any help of what this could be? I switched the circuit brakers already and that does not work.
Call the friend that got you hooked up and get him to get his buddy over there pronto. If that doesn't work, call another electrician, then send the bill to the first guy.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Chief Nailbender

Rewards Points: 10

Look at the neutral connections to the ground bar, if they are loose it would cause the symptoms you are describing. Carefully remove the front panel, and with a steady hand (don't do this if you are not familiar with what is hot and what is ground ) tighten each screw on the bar that attaches either a ground (bare) or neutral (white wire). It is possible but not as likely that the hot wire attached to the breaker is loose; check those as well. Then cancel that electrician's check

Oh, and since he replaced a fuse panel he may have extended wires within the new panel box so they would be long enough, check for loose wire connections inside the wire nuts. The wires should be twisted together.
davitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,652

Could be one of the main hot leads is loose. Call the installer back to inspect for loose connections.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leave a message for you buddy. Ask him if you should call the Registrar of Contractors to help find another electrician.

The circuit starts at the panel and goes through many switches and receptacles throughout the house. The problem could be related to the panel, or maybe not.

I agree with calling a real electrician and, if the problem is in the area that your buddy worked on, send him the bill with a subtle reference to licencing etc.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote