Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

Help with Pool Timer Intermatic P1353ME

Will someone please help me with the wiring for this timer? There are some things I don't understand. I want to make sure it will accomplish what I want to do before I buy it.

You can pull it up on line and also pull up the wriring manual in order to help me. Google manual P1353ME.

I have a 1 speed 220 volt pool pump
220 volt Polaras booster pump
110 volt pool light

I want to use this timer to replace the one that I have now because it will cut your cleaner/pump/light on and off at specified times. It will make sure that your cleaner does not run unless your pool pump is operating.

I don't understand about the 110/220 thing for different loads on each circuit. Is only one 220 volt feeder line required for this timer, or do I have to run inbound feeder lines to each seperate thing that is controlled by this timer?

I now have my 220 volt pump connected to a 220 volt intermatic timer that will control my pool pump only.
I now have my 220 vlt cleaner pumpo hooked to a seperate breaker in a seperate breaker box.
I now have my 110 volt light hookee to a seperate breaker in a seperate breaker box as well.

I want to move all of them to this digital timer and have it control all three.

Question: Is ONLY ONE (1) 220 volt line required to be connected to this timer and set the timer for 220 volts, or do I have to run the 220 line from the cleaner and the 110 volt line from the light to the timer as well.

What has me confused is 2 different voltages coming off the same timer. How is that accomplished?

I need to know this before I spend $181.00 for this digital timer.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

TGMcCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

That timer will do either 120v or 220v loads, and from 3 different sources, so in a sense you could easily have 3 different breakers and this will still work for you... when using 240v loads they only break one leg of the power to each piece of equipment.

You may need to hire someone to do this for you...

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #3

I can do it myself now that I understand how it works. What threw me was that it would work on either 220 or 110. What it is referring to is that the TIMER mechanism itself will work on 110 or 220 so you can run either 110 or 220 to the intermatic timer terminals marked "timer power 120v or 240v". This only supplies power to operate the timer not any of the appliances that I will hook to it.

Then you have to run seperate lines to each one of the 3 circuits. These can be 110 or 120 volt as it does not matter since it has nothing to do with the timer except turning the circuits off and on just like a wall light switch. You just run the hot line to each circuit and then out to the load. The timer can then be programed to turn that 110 or 220 circuit off or on in relation to how it is programmed. The neutrals are all tied together as there is not a lug on the timer for that.

If this is NOT correct then let me know.

I wired my 220 pool pump on a intermaic timer that will operate 1 circuit only. This one will handle 3.

I have also used a 110 volt intermatic times for a seperate water fountain. This timer is for a single circuit only, so that is what threw me. I did not know that you had to run seperate lines to this timer.

I knew I could depend on you as you answer a lot of posts on this forum and I appreciate it.

Tom
Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMcCallie View Post
I can do it myself now that I understand how it works. What threw me was that it would work on either 220 or 110. What it is referring to is that the TIMER mechanism itself will work on 110 or 220 so you can run either 110 or 220 to the intermatic timer terminals marked "timer power 120v or 240v". This only supplies power to operate the timer not any of the appliances that I will hook to it.

Then you have to run seperate lines to each one of the 3 circuits. These can be 110 or 120 volt as it does not matter since it has nothing to do with the timer except turning the circuits off and on just like a wall light switch. You just run the hot line to each circuit and then out to the load. The timer can then be programed to turn that 110 or 220 circuit off or on in relation to how it is programmed. The neutrals are all tied together as there is not a lug on the timer for that.

If this is NOT correct then let me know.

I wired my 220 pool pump on a intermaic timer that will operate 1 circuit only. This one will handle 3.

I have also used a 110 volt intermatic times for a seperate water fountain. This timer is for a single circuit only, so that is what threw me. I did not know that you had to run seperate lines to this timer.

I knew I could depend on you as you answer a lot of posts on this forum and I appreciate it.

Tom
You're good, I don't think you'll have any issues wiring it up.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #5

I don't think I will either now that I understand how it works.

Thanks

Tom