DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help Please,wiring from old Alum.to Copper pigtail?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  deepseathomas 
#1 ·
Can any one tell me please the right way to wire my outlet before I burn down my house please?
I have 2 alum.black, 2 alum.white and one alum.ground. I have the new outlet for the conversion, not sure Do we use the 2 alum.black to the new copper black, and connect. then attach the 2 alum.white to the 2 white copper. and connect the alun ground to the new copper ground.? Can any one please help me with this. the home depot guys have told me 3 ways but not sure at this point. Thomas

#2 ·
if you have enough aluminum wire,just buy a recp for aluminum wire.they are about 4$.they have a ground screw.they are made to be used with alu or copper.if you have to use copper,you must use no-ox type grease on the wire before you put on the wire nut.twist wire together add no-ox put on wire nut.or if they have them, get purpple wire nuts from ideal.no-ox already in there.

#3 ·
Alum. to Copper pigtail.outlet

How do i wire it from the wall? there are 2 black, 2 white, 2 alm.ground, that are connected to the 14 gauge copper 1 back, 1,white, 1copper ground.
the guys at home depot said to put all in to one purple, with the copper pig tail.
I tryed this and it didnt work. Then I called and a women said to connect all the back with the purple twist, all the white with a purple trist, and same with the ground. any ideas?
Thomas

#5 ·
Just be aware that alum conductor are larger than copper conductor for the same ampacity so if you have 4.0mm² {#12 AWG } Copper conductor then the alum conductor will be 6.0mm²{#10 AWG] alum so the way you descrbing if you used the purple wirenut and do not fit for some reason and DO not pretwist them keep them straight and use the purple wirenut to get them fit in.

I did check the chart and two 6.0mm² alum with one 4.0mm² will fit in there.

Just do not pretwist them that why it will not go in.

However there is other option as one of the member here mention a alum rated device they will marked CO/ALR I know it will cost more than standard device but they are rated for alum conductors otherwise a small polairs connector will work.

Or other option I know it will work very well let me paste the photo

If you need more info on this please let me know I will send the link to ya.

Merci.
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.