Help With Outdoor Electrical - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help with outdoor electrical

I am planning on installing a few lighting setups at our new home and could use some guidance. I am pretty handy with a voltmeter, but need some help in how to get started.

We are going to be installing the following in our front yard:
- a fountain that will be constantly running
- 6 hanging lanterns that will be 30w 120v tied into the switch for the existing porch light
- a series of ground level low voltage landscape lights via a multi-tap transformer

I am going to have an electrician pull the wiring, but I dont know what to ask him to install at the side of the house where the transformer and the junction boxes (?) will be installed.

So my questions are:
- do I need 3 leads pulled (1 for the LV transformer, 1 for the fountain and another for the lanterns attached to the switch)?
- What kind of box and components do I need to hardwire the lanterns? or should I just do plugs?
- What kind of box do I need for the fountain connection?
- What should I have the electrician install when he pulls the leads?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Todd

Advertisement

tschoenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

help with outdoor electrical

First off there are many ways you can do what you want to do. But this is what I would do personally. For your wall lights since your coming off of an existing switch you more than likely have power at the switch so you don't need to worry about getting electricity to that switch. Now your landscaping lights are going to need a transformer as you have stated and it's most likely going to be a weather proof transformer. So you can mount the transformer on the side of the house. Or somewhere out of view and most of them now just plug in. Your water fountain will also be a plug in and they really don't draw that much depending on the size of course. So you can install a GFCI on a 20 amp circuit on the side of the house for the landscape lighting. Off of that GFCI you could always did a trench to where the fountain is going to be and install a RAB mighty post with a GFCI protected outlet for the fountain. But obviously there are many ways of doing what you want to do. I'm just saying what I would do myself Good luck!

Advertisement

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote