Help, New Wiring For Bathroom Remodel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help, new wiring for bathroom remodel

I am in the middle of remodeling my bathroom and found the previous wiring came off a junction box in the attic. All the bathroom wiring was on the same circuit as 2 ceiling fans, 2 hallway lights and 2 outside lights. I disconnected the old bathroom wiring from this junction box and I'm planning on all new wiring for the bathroom.

My plan is to put a new 20 amp tandem breaker in the box outside, one circuit for the outlets and one for the lights/exhaust fan. Is there any big difference other than saving space when using a tandem breaker as opposed to 2 separate single breakers? i checked my box, i have room for either option.

outlets circuit - I'm planning on running a romex 12/2 wire from the circuit to a junction box above the bathroom and having 3 GFCI outlets. the outlets will be on 3 different walls so it seems easiest to connect these in parallel from the junction box. does anyone know if that would be a problem? just seems easier than having wire going all through the walls to connect in a series.

lights/fan circuit - 14/3 wire from circuit to a 4 rocker light switch. 14/3 from switch #1 to light/fan. 14/2 from switch #2 to vanity. 14/2 from switch #3 to recessed light above shower. 14/2 from switch #4 to night light in light/fan assembly.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have. this is my first big electrical DIY job so I figured I would check to see if anything I'm getting ready to do looks completely wrong to anyone.

Advertisement

DIYAUSTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,396

Use of tandem breakers is for space savings, if you have the space use individual full size breakers (its also cheaper).

You can't use a 20 amp tandem if you are using #14 wire on one of the circuits. Another reason to use 2 regular breakers (a 15 amp and a 20 amp).

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

I was thinking a 20 amp circuit mainly because of the exhaust fan but I think a 15 amp would be fine. maybe i'll go with 2 separate circuit breakers, 20 amp for outlets and 15 for lights/fan
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,396

You can use all 20 amp circuits for all the circuits if you use all #12 wire. I made my comment because in your first post you said you were using #14 wire for the fans/lights.

Answer based on NEC in the USA.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Lights and fan off of an existing lighting circuit. If they are already on a lighting circuit, leave them there. If there is a 20 amp already for the bath, you use that for the outlets. How old is this house, and how was it originally wired? Also, where are you located, since codes vary.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Thanks for your response, i got the different wire size from a general bathroom wiring diagram i was looking at. I went back and double checked it and it was actually showing the lights and fan on a 15 amp circuit. The fan i have only uses 32 watts so I think it should be fine on a 15 amp.

gregzoll - the house was built in 1950 and is in Austin TX. I've been in it for about a year. There was a new breaker panel installed before I bought it and some wiring was replaced but a lot of it in the house is older, i haven't seen any aluminum wiring or anything. There was only one outlet and light previously and no fan, they were both connected to a circuit that also had 2 ceiling fans, 2 hallway lights and 2 outside lights. I just disconnected the old bathroom wiring from that circuit and figured i would put in new circuit breakers so the bathroom was on it's own circuit.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

You won't see any Aluminum in a house built in 1950. You will see 2wire without ground though, unless they used armored cable with the bonding strap.

As for your hookup, lights in the bath can use the existing circuit. As for outlets, a run of 12/2 will suffice to run a 20amp circuit. As for outlets, suggest placing one on the left & one on the right of the vanity, if less than 48" long. If 48 or longer, then place one also in the middle, or place two in a double gang box, for a total of four outlets to cover the possibility, that you may need them at any time. Because, you never know when you want to leave your electric shaver plugged in, the wife wants to also leave a nightlight plugged in, along with a plug-in room freshner, and then she wants to always switch sides of the vanity to do her thing.

Also, think about a outlet on the long wall without the vanity, so that if you have to vacuum, and can't get to the hallway outlet, or don't want to, you can plug in right there. Always think ahead.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

thanks gregzoll, reconnecting into that existing circuit will probably be easier than a installing a whole new circuit, i just wasn't sure if the bathroom lighting had to be on it's own independent circuit. the existing circuit is a 20 amp, looks like all I'll have to do is pigtail in a 12/2 from the existing junction box to the switch and wire the new lights from the switch?

I'm planning on doing 2 outlets on either side of the vanity and then 1 on the opposite side of the wall. the vanity is in the corner so 1 outlet will be on the entrance side wall to the left, 1 to the right of the vanity and the 3rd on the opposite wall.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

At times I wished when I did our bath, that I placed one on the wall that the door is on, but then I tell myself to forget about it, too late now. My wife was the one to suggest placing one outlet to the left of the vanity, one to the right. I thought that I had a better of the vanity from the front, which I know that I have posted on here a way back. Here is the best showing my outlet & switch setup. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._7842622_n.jpg I did make that album public, which shows the tear apart also, and the tile work.

This is the whole album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1562551&type=3

Advertisement