Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |

Help with new shop wiring

New member here; just joined. I have a problem with the wiring I am roughing in for a new shop I am building. The electrition said he would work with me if I "roughed" in the wiring and had all the connections ready so he could inspect and do the final connections, so I am. I have had long electrical experience but it is very "thin"! The shop is a combination cabinet and gunsmithing shop. It has 200 Amp dedicated service (to be connected). I have a 40 slot main panel. Q: I am planning to run workbenches around the 30'X18' perimeter walls. I would like HD outlete mounted on the front face below the worksurface for easy plug-in. (This is based on experience..). I use a lot of high watt/HP tools (2.5HP router, 3000Watt lead furnace, several 1HP machines, etc.0 and I have all the equipment mounted on wheels as I do a lot of parts making and small-lot manufacturing. I set up the tools I need in a "work center" as I need them grouped. I have run 10Ga. wire to all the plugs with the intention of using each to feed 2 duplex 20Amp outlets each. (8 plugs from the 2 wall mounts.) I may change them to 30Amp twist locks later dedicated to these workbench-mounted outlets. I'm having a heck of a time working with the 10Ga. wire. Are properly-rated spade lugs permissable on the solid 10Ga. Romex?

campchair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Electrician

I have put 10 solid onto a plug before, takes a little work to get it to sit on there nice and some more work to get it sitting on the wall nice.

One option would be to pigtail a #12 onto the #10 and take that to your plug. If you upgrade to a 30A twistlock you would have to remove the #12 and put the #10 onto the plug.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

General purpose receptacle circuits are prohibited from being on circuits greater than 20 amps. You could have run a multiwire branch circuit using 12-3 cable and had two circuits to serve a double gang box. One duplex on each circuit. You will also need to provide GFI protection to the receptacles.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #4

The original poster only said he was using #10 and may upgrade to a 30Amp twist locks later. If he uses a 20 amp breaker with his duplex 20Amp outlets he is fine. Also, if it is a long run #10 may be required to reduce voltage drop.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
One option would be to pigtail a #12 onto the #10 and take that to your plug. If you upgrade to a 30A twistlock you would have to remove the #12 and put the #10 onto the plug.
I just recently did this for a air compressor - I ran #10 wire because I antisipate to upgrade sometime in the future to a larger unit - will change out the breaker and recept at that time without having to rerun the wire.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote