DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help, new fixture not working

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  joed 
#1 ·
Today I installed a new pendant type light fixture in my sons room. It is a newer home so newer wiring. I'm sure I attached the fixture wire with the writting to the black wire and the other wire to the white wire. I connected the 2 copper wires together with a connector. The light was working and I was feeling pretty proud of my handiwork :) I left the light on and about an hour or two later my son said it made a "pop" sound and went out. I checked the bulb and breaker and both are fine. What did I do wrong? It's late and I don't want to start messing with it tonight. The wall switch is in the off position. Should I be concerned with the fixture causing a fire?

Thanks.

Christine

#2 ·
i would check the obvious first, take down the light and make sure the marrets are still connected.

Did any other lights or plugs go out after he heard the pop.

Also make sure your not using to strong of a bulb, if it is rated for 60W don't put a 100W bulb in it.

Well thats a start, any more questions please ask

#3 ·
Christine,
I'm not a pro electrician, but I believe that you wired it backwards. The smooth wire must be the hot (to black) and the imprinted wire is to the neutral (white).
Maybe it didn't do anything but pop the breaker. Re-wire it the opposite of what you originally did, and see if that doesn't work.
Good Luck!
Mike

#4 ·
Reversing the wires will not make it "pop" and go off. It will function just fine. However it will be a minor safety hazard when changing the bulb. The pop may have been one of the connection coming apart and shorting to the ground. Turn off the power to the circuit and open the fixture again and check the connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.