Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #1

Share |

Help needed for whole house fan wiring (Diagram)

Hi all,

I'm installing a whole house fan that has two separate motors that are suppose to be plugged into two outlets. Below is the diagram I created of how I think the wires are suppose to run. Does this look ok? For some reason the instructions doesn't show the white wire from the timer connected to the common white wires. Should I connect it to the common just like in my diagram or leave it unconnected?

Thank you kindly!

s-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

That looks correct.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post
Hi all,

I'm installing a whole house fan that has two separate motors that are suppose to be plugged into two outlets. Below is the diagram I created of how I think the wires are suppose to run. Does this look ok? For some reason the instructions doesn't show the white wire from the timer connected to the common white wires. Should I connect it to the common just like in my diagram or leave it unconnected?

Thank you kindly!
is it an electronic timer or a spring loaded one?

Most electronic timers need the neutral, but a mechanical one, of course, does not. If the instruction sheet for that fan was written ages ago, then it's not going to show neutral, since a windup timer has no neutral wire.

Note that some electronic timers do not need the neutral but some do.

Be sure your timer is rated for the fan motor HP ratings...some electronic timers that use only two wires are not recommended for use with ANY motors at all.

what make/model of timer is this? Some have Normally open and normally closed contacts on them, which can confuse things
Robo_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

Thank you guys for the help. The time is an electronic timer by Intermatic model EI220W. I think perhaps you guys are right about the instructions were intended for a manual timer.. but since the timer was shipped with the fan itself as a package from the manufacturer then the timer should be good. I'll go ahead and wire up everything like the diagram. Lastly would there be any issue with the length of Romex 14/2 and 14/3 runs for this? The timer/switch will be in the hall way and of course the fans in the attic and I'm guessing right now I think it's roughly 50 feet runs. Greatly appreciated your help. Oh by the way here's the instructions:

s-one is offline   Reply With Quote