Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Share |

Help needed: How do I ground my satellite dish?

My dish is mounted to the side of my house. There are two coax lines running from the dish directly inside to the electrical panel area. I do not see any grounding on the outside of my house for the dish.

On the inside, the two coax lines run through a grounding block (like this one: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/grou...g6-rg59/964991)

Two other coax lines are connected to the opposite side of the grounding block and lead directly to two rooms in the house, only one has a receiver on it.

I just discovered that the 14 gauge wire connected to the grounding block was tucked into a hole on the electrical panel, but wasn't actually connected to anything. So, how do I fix this?

- do I connect the grounding wire from the grounding block to the electrical panel ground? (is there a special clamp to do this?)
- is 14 gauge sufficient, or should it be bigger?
- should there be another ground on the outside of the home? (will I need a grounding rod? the electrical meter is on the opposite side of the house. Gas comes in at this point, and I believe has a ground on it, but it's covered in snow, so I'd have to go check it out or wait until spring.)

Any help would be much appreciated on how this should be done properly! Thanks so much!

DIYguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

The ground should go to the ground block with the other ground wires in your panel. The dish should be grounded. The grounding block within the cable might meet this requirement, not sure.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

That ground should be connected to a grounding rod. That ground is most likely for lighting strikes to the dish. Very little if and electricity running through those cable wires.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
That ground should be connected to a grounding rod. That ground is most likely for lighting strikes to the dish. Very little if and electricity running through those cable wires.
A separate ground rod for a satellite dish? Gee, having had a dish in four different homes, I've never seen such a thing. Ground blocks? Of course. Ground rod? Gotta be kidding me.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
A separate ground rod for a satellite dish? Gee, having had a dish in four different homes, I've never seen such a thing. Ground blocks? Of course. Ground rod? Gotta be kidding me.
You cannot have a separate ground rod from the electrical system, they would need to be bonded together, depending on how and where the dish is installed, a separate ground rod could be required... and you probably had four incorrectly grounded dishes installed, just saying....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (12-28-2013)
Old 12-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #6

so my best bet right now is to connect the grounding wire from the grounding block to the electrical panel ground, right? is 14gauge sufficient? is there a clamp that connects the two wires properly?

then, what should I do about grounding the satellite dish? how do I bond that ground to the electrical system ground? it's not close to the outside meter or the electrical panel. could I use a grounding rod without bonding? (what are the implications?) Could I ground it to the gas meter ground wire (would this already be bonded to the electrical panel ground?)

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

who installed it wrong in the 1 st place... call the installer back make him do it right..??? benc sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post

Did I say a SEPARATE ground rod?
The wire Coming from the block generally gets connected to the ground rod for the house.
Read it again......
Old 12-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
who installed it wrong in the 1 st place... call the installer back make him do it right..??? benc sr
Though I would love to do it this way, we are the 3rd owners of our 7 year old home, so I'm not sure when it was installed, and by whom. I only realized it wasn't grounded as I'm installing a patch panel near the electrical panel for all the coax, phone, and ethernet in the house (it's a mess right now, and nothing is labeled as to where it goes)
Old 12-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
That is actually against the electrical code. ALL grounds must go to one set of ground rods on a house. This includes the cable and telephone who often violate this rule by driving there own rods.
If you open your panel you should see block where all the current ground wires from the branch circutis connect. Connect you dish ground to this point.

Last edited by joed; 12-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post

That is actually against the electrical code. ALL grounds must go to one set of ground rods on a house. This includes the cable and telephone who often violate this rule by driving there own rods.
If you open your panel you should see block where all the current ground wires from the branch circutis connect. Connect you dish ground to this point.
Wow.
To clarify, I was referring to the ground rod for the house, NOT stating to install an additional ground rod for the dish.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #12

That's good to know. You would be surprised how many think just pounding rod at the bottom of the dish is what you need.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #13

I have checked with some dish installers in Ontario. The only time the actual dish needs to be grounded is if it is the highest point on the house.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
E2 Electrician

Quote:
I have checked with some dish installers in Ontario. The only time the actual dish needs to be grounded is if it is the highest point on the house.
Big mistake, you will have ground loops if you do not bond the coax to the electrical system.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Dish installers are terrible at what the actual code requires, even in the states I see most installations with multiple violations.