Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

Help! Need way to locate low voltage light cables

Hey!
I'm a handyman and sometimes I need a way to find breaks in low voltage light cables. Usually they're less than 6 inches underground, but sometimes the landscapers will cut through them and then it becomes my problem.

I've seen lots of cable locators, but they range from $400 +. That's a little high for something that I would use only about 3 times a year. I'm looking for something that injects a signal into the wire and then has a receiver that can locate the wires ( and breaks). Not a lot to ask for, but all I've seen are ones that are meant for house voltage, and such.
Has ANYONE got an idea where I can even look for something to accomplish what I need for under $200???
Thanks!

Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #2

I have zero idea if such a product exists, but if I had a suspicion that someone cut through my low-voltage line inadvertantly, I'd start at the transformer and pull the whole wire up until I found the break. As long as you find the break, fix it, and rebury the line, the customer should be happy. Just charge more to offset the time resetting the line. *shrug*

Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:27 AM   #3

Oh Come on guys!!! There has to be someone out there that knows where I can find a reasonably priced cable locator!?!?
The whole idea is to NOT have to pull up the whole cable!!
These are "high end" properities and they won't be happy if their landscaping gets "messed up" ..and their willing to pay for just that.

Last edited by Johnboy555; 12-31-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-31-2007, 07:17 AM   #4

I've done a lot of research on low-voltage setups recently, and one of the best sites I've found is lawnsite.com. There's a section primarily for low-voltage lighting, and it's mainly for professionals in the industry. If such a product exists, they'll know about it.
Proulx06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #5

My experience with cable finders is that you get what you pay for.

I have never seen a less expensive model be worth the price.

Also, in most areas, even low voltage is regulated electrical work. If you are doing this without a licence you are in violation of the law. The proper thing to do is to sub the electrical work, let the electrician worry about how to find the break in the wires, and charge your customer accordingly.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Look for the Live Wire tester at theis site.

http://www.gardnerbender.com/
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #7

So Mr...Miss... or Mrs...JWhite are you the " electrical Police" ??? I've been a professional Handyman for over 34 years and I'll put the knowledge of the jobs that I do against anyone out there. And If I don't know how to do a job I find out. Sometimes I come to a forum like this. For information.. not opinions of someone that I don't know, or doesn't know me. Do me a favor..don't assume that I'm a moron and I'll do my best to do the same for you!!
I'm not looking for a cable finder that will do brain surgery... just one that will inject a signal that a meter can pick up 6" underground.
I'll check the sites from you other guys with my thanks, at least you have something positive.
Johnboy

Last edited by Johnboy555; 01-02-2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

JohnBoy555:,,

I think you better think of your remark here and i know you are profesal handyman but do you have a electrician lisc to work on low voltage system ??

because there are few state have regulations there and if someone do the repair on someone else property the rules get pretty strict with this matter and in fact i know one state went after few landscapers on this sisuation.

what type of lisc you have on hand now ??

I will admit here i have master electrician lisc here i carry two verison both state of Wisconsin and Paris France so i know both electrical codes.

and what more i don't know what state you are from so there is few electrical related issue it will show up there

you work for 34 years now you should know what is your limit is.

keep in your mind i am not acting like a smartbutt talk here but i just want to steer it right for safety reason.

for the cable locators they are not cheap most are $450 and above and sometime it will be eaiser to pony up with a EC with a reasonable fee they can find a break on the line so fast.

I do have 3 diffrent line locators devices it depending on what sisuation called for. some can be found by tone alone but most of my time i go few diffrent reason.

i could post a type of wire locator device what you are looking for but i rather wait until you reply to me if you are licsened or not.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #9

Get a telephone tone generator and receiver. Connect @ transformer (remove LV wires from transformer first) Use the reciever to follow the cable from the transformer to wherever the break is. Test each conductor separately and remove all lamps first.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
do you have a electrician lisc to work on low voltage system ??

Gimme a break. It's freaking lanscape lights.

Progressive electronics makes a decent finder for around 200. Usually it works like a champ, other times not so much.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #11

LOL French and from Wisconsin!!!

What more can I say????
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Donc ce que.,, que je peux faire de lui ??
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #13

Sorry guys... I had to type that one from the floor!! I fell out of my chair laughing...

Anyway.. thanks lawn guy...sometimes it just takes a finger poke to point you in the right direction. I can just take a telephone tone gen and then just check each light socket then at least then I'll know which run, between which lights (DUH!!!) and not have to drop $400 bucks ! Sometimes you just can't see the forest....
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Donc ce que.,, que je peux faire de lui ??
Puits mis ! ! Je ne te demanderai de faire rien !
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy555 View Post
Sorry guys... I had to type that one from the floor!! I fell out of my chair laughing...

Anyway.. thanks lawn guy...sometimes it just takes a finger poke to point you in the right direction. I can just take a telephone tone gen and then just check each light socket then at least then I'll know which run, between which lights (DUH!!!) and not have to drop $400 bucks ! Sometimes you just can't see the forest....
You're welcome. That's why I make the big bucks...

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote