Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Help!!! My wife wants to buy a new washer and dryer

Our dryer runs but it doesn't heat. My wife doesn't want to call a repairman. She wants to buy a new washer and dryer. Can someone help me fix it before she spend $1500?

I called to get a price on an ignitor and guy said to check for continuity on the thermostat first. There are 4 wires coming out of the thermostat on blower. 2 come from the switch at the top of the dryer the other 2 go someplace else. How do I check the thermostat?

MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You would need an electrical diagram of the dryer (schematics), a multimeter, know how to use a multimeter, and know how to read electrical schematics.

The reason it is not working could be due to many different problems. You would need to test various points in the wiring with the multimeter to determine where the problem was. And before you could know that something was not working properly, you would need to know how each component *should* work.

You can learn how to do the above, but it can take a lot of time if you are starting from scratch...

More...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...r&aq=f&oq=&aqi

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Can someone help me fix it before she spend $1500?
She wants new appliances.
Pay now for new appliances or pay later for not getting new appliances.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,004

Remove the back cover. Look for the element. It will encased in a metal enclosure with an opening near the bottom for the wires to enter. Right there is a small round disc, (thermostat) mounted to the metal enclosure. It will have two terminals. Remove the wires (they pull out) and check for continuity. It should be closed to allow current to flow through it. If it's open that your problem. I just fixed my dryer a couple months ago. It had the same symptoms and same fix. You can put these two wires together (jump them) and try the dryer. This is the easiest way to do it. (they make a coupling for the push on connectors) Of course I replaced the belts and some other parts in the rebuild kit. Maybe add some life to it.

A dryer that will not heat is no reason to automatically replace. It could be the thermostat or element ect..... So check.
When you remove the back cover, there should be a drawing on the inside of the cover. This will help you find the T-Stat and element terminals. The T-Stat is in series with the element. Check all connections while you are in there.

Note: $1500 is a good bit of money for a new washer and dryer. She must have very expensive tastes.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

"I called to get a price on an ignitor". I'm not familiar with an "ignitor" on an electric clothes dryer, nor am I familiar with a gas clothes dryer ( just not used in my area). So, are we talking about an electric clothes dryer or something else? Billy Bob would be right is this is a gas type dryer. And if you are not familiar with this type repair, call the repairman or follow Yoyizit's advice. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #6

Just the mention of "ignitor" makes me think gas. I did not know they made gas clothes dryers?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
She wants new appliances.
Pay now for new appliances or pay later for not getting new appliances.

I agree buy the old lady new appliances she wants them, then when you want something she'll let you have it. DIG
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would go for the new laundry set.
Keeping the wife happy makes all other things much better...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I would go for the new laundry set.
Keeping the wife happy makes all other things much better...
Yes.
It's the job of the husband to promote and enable the happiness of the wife. And vice versa.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Advice worth 2 cents!

Rewards Points: 150

Geeez...no-brainer to me (and I'm a master electrician), buy a new set of appliances! (think of all the good sex your going to get for one night)

___pete
Old 10-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Just the mention of "ignitor" makes me think gas. I did not know they made gas clothes dryers?
Really? I'd say the vast majority of clothes dryers in this area are gas. Gas dryers are more expensive to purchase, but cheaper to operate. I've had both gas and electric, and would say that gas does a better job.

To the original poster: how old are the appliances? It sounds like you should be paying for a service call here, and not tearing into it yourself. (I LOVE doing everything myself, but the innards of appliances is where I draw the line). If your appliances are older, you can save quite a bit with energy efficiency savings on new appliances, especially dryers.

Last edited by hyunelan2; 10-12-2009 at 12:36 PM.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Really? I'd say the vast majority of clothes dryers in this area are gas. Gas dryers are more expensive to purchase, but cheaper to operate. I've had both gas and electric, and would say that gas does a better job.

To the original poster: how old are the appliances? It sounds like you should be paying for a service call here, and not tearing into it yourself. (I LOVE doing everything myself, but the innards of appliances is where I draw the line). If your appliances are older, you can save quite a bit with energy efficiency savings on new appliances, especially dryers.
I have never lived in a climate where gas was predominant. Good to know. Thanks. If I ever convert to gas I will know.

However, replacing the thermostat is a job most anyone can do. Remove the two wires, jump them out, if it works, order new T-Stat.

I am the first to encourage replacement here at home if the appliances are old. I do not advocate replacing newer appliances. One or two repairs before I replace. I do my own repair work, so I'm only paying for parts and shipping.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post

Agree, after using both gas is much better.

New washing machines will spin the clothes better, remove more water and your dryer won't work as hard.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Heres an update. There are 4 wires in the thermostat. A black and red that runs from the thermostat to the back of the dryer. A yellow and white wire run to the blower. I hooked up a continuity test to the red and black wire and their is continuity.

Does that mean the thermostat is good and the ignitor is bad?
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #15

Did you disconnect the wires before testing the thermostat?

If you did not, then do that and test again.

Also before disconnecting any wires on projects like this, ALWAYS take a picture or draw on paper what wire goes to what. Then you can reconnect the wires properly...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote