Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

Share |

Help my dog

OK, I want to shock my pool. No really, "shock my pool". I, first and foremost am an animal lover. After a year of grieving the loss of our Akita, we deciding it is time to get another dog. This time a Great Dane. To make a long story short, he used our swimming pool exclusively as his only source of water. I have spent 2k dollars on medical bills and special food, trying to figure out the cause of his loose bowels. The last thing on my list is the chemicals in the pool. Way back when, growing up, we had a stubborn dog who constantly got into the garden ruining everything. We put up an electic fence, voila, problem solved. For the rest of the dogs life, we only had to turn it on 1 week. I want to run a similar current through my pool, that will shock him. So, can someone help me with this? How can I hook up a battery or something to achieve this? I do not have the means to put up a shock fence or fence for that matter. I do not want to injure the dog either. This would only be temporary. Please do not see this as being inhumane. It is actually for the health and well being of my dog. The pool is in my backyard, fence locked, no other animals or people could be injured.

DoggyHelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Field Service

Help my dog

Electrifying a pool is not akin to an electric fence.

diystephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #3

Help my dog

You need help!...Call your local PETA.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
Rochsolid (12-24-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

Help my dog

Buy yourself a short invisible fence and lay the wire between where you want to let the dog run and the pool. There is no way any responsible person would try something like that. The posibility of something bad happening is not worth it. The legan ramifications if someone got hurt are pretty high as well
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Help my dog

Use a training shock collar.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

Help my dog

There are systems out there already, were you use a barrier wire,
if the dog gets too close to this wire then a collar mounted
unit is activated and sprays citronella,
dogs dont like citronella.
You could put this barrier wire aoround the pool area.
He will soon learn were he should not go !
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Resi EC

Help my dog

Couple things you can do:
1. Train your dog, 'leave it', taught my Lab this one, he'll leave a steak on the ground alone if commanded.
2. Make sure your dog has plenty of drinking water, maybe he'll leave the pool water for bathing.

If you have trouble training your dog, I'm sure there are forums to help you.
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (12-24-2012), mpoulton (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Help my dog

Call the dog whisperer.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Help my dog

put some time and effort into training your dog to stay away from the pool instead of trying to electrifying your pool to shock your dog.
echobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echobravo For This Useful Post:
creeper (12-23-2012), J. V. (12-24-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #10

Help my dog

Ditto .......to the exponent 2
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #11

Help my dog

http://www.invisiblefence.com/

This system has worked wonderfully on our dog...which previously was the world's worst roaming canine. Now he stays home.

A bit pricey...but has saved us lots of time recovering him...often 5-10 miles away.
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #12

Help my dog

+1 for the invisible fence systems. We used to have a German Shepard and after several escapes and destruction of landscaping, we installed a system from Innotek. The training collar would beep as the dog approached the buried wire and only issued a shock if she continued to within a foot or so. I think it took about 3 hours and 2 corrections for the dog to understand her new boundaries.

I'm not sure about your specific situation, but one of the things the system allowed us to do was let our dog out in the front yard. She much preferred it as there wasn't much grass in the backyard due to the pool. We just ran the wire along the sidewalk and that kept her in her yard.

A couple things to keep in mind:
Make sure you are regularly checking the battery in the training collar. Our German Shepard would sometimes lay in the yard at the point where the collar started beeping. She knew that as long as it was beeping she should wouldn't receive a correction. What she didn't know was that the constant beeping would drain the battery. Once the battery was dead, the collar stopped beeping and after a few days she would realize that no beep=no shock and would sometimes push the boundaries. For the most part, once she learned the boundaries, she respected those lines with or without the collar.

These systems use a thin gauge wire that emits an EMF signal to create the barrier. That wire can be prone to breakage, especially if you put it along the edge of a lawn where it might get nicked by an edger or mower. Proper planning and installation are a must. Remember that the training aspect of these types of systems happens in the first few days after installation, but the training collar remains your last line of defense, so make sure it's always working.

Direct training with your dog is the most important thing. There are training aides and instructions with the kit, make sure you are working with your dog to establish those boundaries and using positive reinforcement when it respects those lines. The training collar is a deterrent, but you need to be showing your dog what you want it to do, not just reprimanding it for what you don't want to do.

When setting up your boundaries, be aware of any "traps" and adjust accordingly. Our system required the wire to run down the side yard from front to back. This didn't seem like an issue as the wire then continued along the edge of the pool patio, effectively keeping the dog out of the side yard. One day, we heard panicked barking coming from the backyard and found the dog stuck on the side yard. She had pushed past the barrier at the edge of the patio (remember, the collar is only a deterrent) and once she was down the side yard there was not enough space for her to get away from the wire that ran down the length of the house. As such, there was no way for her to get back to a "safe zone". Moving the wire up to the trim on the house about 8' off the ground prevented that from happening again.

There are other options besides electric shock, but each dog responds differently. We now have a Terrier mix who barks at any activity outside. I work from home and on days where I am here and need to make work calls, we use a citronella filled bark collar that sprays a fine mist in front of the dogs face when he barks. It has been sufficiently effective but seems to be less of a deterrent than the electric shock. I am always a proponent of positive reenforcement training and using the gentlest correction possible. But be aware that depending on your dog, you may have to adjust the method or strength of correction. We tried the citronella approach with the German Shepard and found that it was not enough to deter her.

Best of luck in whatever method you find works for you and your dog.
joezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Help my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac66610 View Post
Couple things you can do:
1. Train your dog, 'leave it', taught my Lab this one, he'll leave a steak on the ground alone if commanded.
2. Make sure your dog has plenty of drinking water, maybe he'll leave the pool water for bathing.

If you have trouble training your dog, I'm sure there are forums to help you.
Mine might leave a steak, but let a cat walk by, it's katie bar the door.
Just haven't broken that one!