Help With MP3 Player Battery Issue? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Is this wire Hot?

Rewards Points: 158
Unhappy

Help with MP3 Player battery issue?

I don't see an "electronics" forum, so I'm sorry if this doesn't belong in "electrical". My 7 year old nieces MP3 player is broken and she is heartbroken. I am desperate to fix it for her.

Here's the story: It's a Disney Mix Max MP3 player. It plugs into a PC via USB to charge and always worked well. She played it one day until the battery was completely dead. Now when plugged in to charge the screen comes on like normal, but then the "Low Battery please recharge" warning pops up, but it won't charge, then it shuts itself off after about 10 seconds. Confusingly, the little battery symbol is green and indicates a half charge is present.

I have Googled for replacement batteries but there don't seem to be any for these units. I also Googled for repair instructions and can't find any except this one that I already tried and it didn't work.

link http://www.fixya.com/support/t913885..._doesnt_charge

Thanks for any help

Advertisement

Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Is this wire Hot?

Really? All of the bright Electricians on this site and nobody can help me fix the little girl's MP3 player? Guess I'll have to break the news to her that it's dead Oh, well.

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

most of the people on here work during the day and are on in the evenings. just try a little patience i'm sure someone will be on later.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Have you priced Mp3 players?
They're pretty cheap nowadays.
We have a place called Batteries Plus for things like that.
You don't have anything like that I guess? Good luck.

According to this, you won't find one:

http://www.fixya.com/search/p504314-...ry_replacement

Last edited by titanoman; 02-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

We city folk have Batteries Plus and countless other such places that seem to have batteries for near anything. Interstate Batteries comes to mind. If you open the thing up and tell me what you need? I will send one to cheer her up.

What concerns me is the device is showing at least a partially charged battery. This may be symptomatic of some other power problem if the thing is not working but showing it should? Circuit board may have bought the farm? Have you tried a different USB port to charge it? You may have blown a port on the computer's USB card? How careful is she when using the device?

How attached is she, really, absolutely, to this thing? Sure one even cuter would not calm her if you offered a concurrent funeral service for the old one? Had a little guy in my life not too long ago, aged 4, that cried and cried and knew he would have to get a white pillow and commit Sepico because his favorite computer game controller died. I got him a new one for what a battery would have cost alone. He lived! And of course liked it better. He moved on to level whatever in his Hot Wheels games.

From experience, it is hard to justify replacing batteries in kid electronics.

Last edited by user1007; 02-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Is this wire Hot?

DannyT, I posted this yesterday and it had >100 views and not one response. I'm guessing that most people don't work 24 hrs a day? That's why I bumped it.

titanoman, I know replacements are cheap, but this one has some pictures and movie clips on it that would be hard to replace. And it has sentimental value to her (you know kids). That's why I really wanted to try to fix this one. I'm not sure it's the battery because, like I said above, when it does turn on it shows a green (charged) battery symbol. If there are no other solutions I guess I can rip the battery out and I'm sure I could find a comparable one somewhere on the www. After all, someone had to make the original ones, right?

I just posted here because I have received some really good help from others in the past. Thought I'd give it a shot.

sdsester, just saw your note, pretty much answered above.

Last edited by Oh-Fudge; 02-03-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: new response
Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wish I could be more helpful but if it is a circuit board or onboard chip issue, not much you can do I fear. The fact you are a getting a green power light but nothing is happening is not a good sign. It may not be and probably is not the battery.

How and where does the thing store stuff? Is there a removable storage thing or is it internal memory on a chip somewhere. A wonk could pull that chip for you but if it relies on power to hold memory you are sunk.

Is there an option to offload things to your computer if it is only "mostly or almost dead?" Does it come to life when plugged into the power from the USB port? And you tried another USB port in case the one you usually use is fried?

I don't know the device but most MP3 things days have some capacity to offload to or exchange with a host computer. You might have to find a manual online.

You are to be admired for trying to fix this for her. Not sure I hold out high hopes though. Sadly and I was shocked when I just looked, Disney gets three to four times what comparable players go for for the packaging and logo I guess.

Last edited by user1007; 02-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Is this wire Hot?

sd, I popped it open to do the battery charge trick posted in my first post. As you said, a little green circuit board with various chips, none removable. I was just hoping that one of ya'll knew a secret trick like 'if you hold down Mickey's left ear button while standing on one leg and whistling Dixie it will restart the battery charge sequence'.

It will power up when connected by USB to the PC, but as above, within 5 seconds the "Low Battery" warning will popup and within 10 seconds it will shut itself down. And even during its brief moment of life - the computer doesn't recognize it as a removable drive like it used to anyway.

I just dread next week when she looks up at me with those adorable little eyes and says "Uncle (oh-fudge) did you fix my I-pod?"
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,388

Is there any sort of tech support or repair centers? Are you supposed to throw it away when the battery goes bad?
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Is this wire Hot?

zappa, pretty much, no warranty or support on this Chinese crap. They probably have 7 year-olds over there makin' more of them as we speak.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh-Fudge For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Disabled wood vet

You didn't see customer support at the website?
I did. But I don't know exactly which one you have (they have Barbie, Hannah Montana, White, etc.) or I would have persued it for you.
And I see some of them are real expensive (100 bucks).
Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
Is this wire Hot?

titan, what site were you on? These were made by a company called "Digital Blue", made in China of course. The don't even support the Disney Mix Max's any more. They aren't even on their website now, and it's way out of warranty anyway. I think I paid about $70 for this about 3 years ago. It was the Pirates of the Caribbean edition. Yeah, they are WAY overpriced, just to have the Disney name on it. They know us grown-ups will spend anything for the kids.....
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Fudge
titan, what site were you on? These were made by a company called "Digital Blue", made in China of course. The don't even support the Disney Mix Max's any more. They aren't even on their website now, and it's way out of warranty anyway. I think I paid about $70 for this about 3 years ago. It was the Pirates of the Caribbean edition. Yeah, they are WAY overpriced, just to have the Disney name on it. They know us grown-ups will spend anything for the kids.....
This one:

http://www.compuvisor.com/disney-mix...ey-mixmax.html
Or this maybe:
http://www.retrevo.com/support/Digit...8134ag711/t/2/

Last edited by titanoman; 02-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Uncle Fudge. Looks like you have some 'splaining to do and a device funeral to oversee. She will get over it. Spring something nice on her like a $30 MP3 player with twice the capacity of that Disney thing for over $100. Girls like boah feathers so go Martha Stewart and glue some feathers and bling on something. She will love it.

Kidding of course.

I write every now and then about how the last generations have lost the ability to archive anything. I have stuff I wrote, for example in early word processing programs long gone. Trust me it was brilliant beyond belief. I stored brilliant stuff on 5.25 floppies and then the 3.5 ones. Of course everything I burned to CDs was going to be good to go, even if I could find the software to open the files, for millions of years. Turns out the self-writable CDs fall apart faster than magnetic media. Recordable DVDs are even worse.

Sorry your niece lost pictures and videos.

I back up to the cloud know and am assured diligent people with chisels and stone tablets keep my stuff safe and encrypted. Most important, it is permanently archived. Guaranteed so until two Tuesdays from now.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Oh-Fudge (02-06-2012)