Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
macon, ga bibb county

Share |

Help mounting junction box!

Hey guys I have been trying to mount this stupid box for about 2 hrs and I don't know how to get it where the bushing will end up flush all the way around inside the box. I also have been looking for different fittings and nobody carries anything but a 90 a 45 and an lb. I don't know if I'm missing something or what. Does the it even need a bushing or can it just enter at an angle and be chalked around? It's not for a splice it's just to exit Sheetrock and make a 90.

Lupus71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
macon, ga bibb county

Help mounting junction box!-image-2363173900.jpg

Help mounting junction box!-image-295452960.jpg

Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

What do you intend to do with this box?
Just use flexable conduit.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Electrician

Not possible.

The wall is open why can't you recess it in the wall?
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
macon, ga bibb county

I'm just trying to exit the wall and make a turn to the next wall. Everybody told me to get this big a$$ box. I can't seem to get the conduit square with the wall to hook an lb up or this box. Can I just run conduit straight out of the wall and chalk around it? Is that up to code?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus71 View Post
I'm just trying to exit the wall and make a turn to the next wall. Everybody told me to get this big a$$ box. I can't seem to get the conduit square with the wall to hook an lb up or this box. Can I just run conduit straight out of the wall and chalk around it? Is that up to code?

What are you trying to do this with this pipe, i noticed you are using PVC. Is there a reason you need PVC.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #7

How about you let us in on the whole plan for better advice.
No clue who would have suggested using a box for this simple job.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
macon, ga bibb county

I'm running power to a shop in the backyard. It will be 2-2-2-4. I am trying to come from my existing sub down and out the Sheetrock then over to the next wall to exit to outside. I'm using PVC because I didn't think it mattered and it is cheap. I have a 12x12x6 box and 2" fittings.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

No way are you going to get the 90 to fit that box flush.
Are you going to put the sheetrock back?
I would try 2 back to back 45's and come into the top of the box.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus71 View Post

The following answer is based on your limited explanation - What I understand is that you don't even want to use that large junction box but want to exit the panel and then turn that PVC 90* elbow so it comes out of the wall and then head towards another wall. All of that and you need the PVC to be flush with the wall.

What I would consider is turn the 90* elbow until it won't turn anymore because of interference from studding and or sheet rock. Then take a PVC blanket heater and put it on the end of the elbow and let the PVC get soft. Then hand form the Elbow so it follows the wall. Be careful not to collapse of kink the PVC.

I assume you will be continuing that conduit run so it might be a good idea to put an extension piece onto that PVC elbow before you heat it up. Otherwise you may end up deforming the end of the elbow.

If you want to use that junction box, use some flexible conduit instead of that PVC elbow.
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How about you let us in on the whole plan for better advice.
No clue who would have suggested using a box for this simple job.
Joe, you have to find his other post about this.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
macon, ga bibb county

Yes I am putting the Sheetrock back. I will definitely run the conduit straight out the wall no box or lb if that's ok as far as code. I just thought you couldn't run conduit out of the wall like that. I have never done any electrical work just been reading up on it alot. As far as coming in the top of the box you are also saying run conduit out of the wall then angle down into the box right? So I assume its ok to do that
Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
macon, ga bibb county

Yes I am sorry for posting so many questions about this run. I am just worried I will get all this glued up and ready for inspection and fail then have to scrap my conduit and fittings and take it all back apart to fix something I may do wrong. I just cannot afford an electrician.i think I can get the rest done if I can just get started out of this d$mn sub panel!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #14

Since you still have not added your location to your profile no one's going to be of much help with any code questions.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Electrician

I would scrap that pre made 90 and get a stick of 2" PVC. Rent or borrow a PVC oven and bend your own 90. Then kick the 90 over(http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/E...w-to-Bend-a-90). Won't be pretty but will do the trick.