DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help for mounting a British chandelier in the US

14K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 · (Edited)
A Friend got a 220V chandelier shipped from the UK that had sentimental value to his wife.
Plans are to mount it in their So Cal home.

The problem is how to mount it to a ceiling box to replace the existing made in USA chandelier. To me, it appears that the original UK ceiling box had some kind of hook in the box to support the chandelier. Is this correct? How could a US plastic box be modified or is there a bracket for a Euro chandelier? The good news is that the chandelier is only 3.5 US pounds.

Need advice from either side of the pond?

Note weight of 3.5 lb is without glass globes which might add another 1-1/2 pounds.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
One of the standard U.S. light fixture mounting kits comes with a metal strip about an inch wide and 4 inches long that spans the screw holes in the rim of the junction box.

There is a round hole in the dead center of that strip through which the threaded pipe of the chandelier or other fixture can be strung through and held in place above with a washer and a nut. The clamp with the hook as you have shown could be used instead of the washer and nut and the bulk of the clamp holds the pipe and the chandelier in place and the hook portion doesn't have to do anything. Attach the strip to the chandelier first, then attach the strip to the box.

You will need side to side play of the canopy or be able to lower the canopy to obtain room to wield your screwdriver attaching the strip to the box.

#3 ·
I am familiar with the US style fixture mounting straps with the center threaded nipple but since the overall outside diameter of the canopy is only 3.56", a standard US strap will, I think, be too wide. There are also two threaded screws in the metal triangular bracket that must have some purpose?

I was hoping that someone could post a pic of how it's done in the UK.

(no problem on the IEC color code. The Blue wire is the neutral and the Brown is the Hot)

#4 · (Edited)
I think the two screws at the top of the hook on bracket are to fasten ground wires to. Depending on the fixture (yours has a bare ground wire coming out of the pipe) you might not use both of those screws.

The little lip curling up against each screw head suggest to me that the screw is a screw terminal.

It even looks like you could use your imagination (fabricate anything even out of coat hanger wire) that would fit in the box as a hook to hold the chandelier by the bracket.

Some (metal) boxes have two screws for cable clamps at opposite ends on the back that could also hold a (manufactured and sold separately in Britain) matching bracket with hook. Some metal boxes have, dead center in the back, a knock-out where a (manufactured and ...) cable clamp and hook could be installed.

#5 ·
Sorry I did not get a chance to reply here but if not done yet let me fill you in with few tibbits here due I am famuair with European stuff { yeah I do live in France so that is a big plus for me }

Ok let us cut to the chase .,,

one., the luminaire bulb socket it may be diffrent than what you typically see in North America size IIRC there are couple mm apart on sizewise.

Second the luminaire stem thread can be either Imperal { sorta like inches } or Metric setting so it will be a 50/50 split between the two but it look pretty new so I am pretty sure I am leaning more toward to metric side.

and typically majorty of European luminaire are hung up with a hook as you can see the photo you provided us.

so you can either get a deep junction box and get a hook build in the box or take the hook bracket off and get proper sized nut on one side and get the strap what you guys normally used on Americian luminiares. and get the other nut and make sure you get lock washer as well this is important step !

You may want to build a custom made strap { make sure you use with ceiling fan rated box that is the safest item you can use }

and check with your standard bulb to fit in if not you will have to change the socket as well.

{ I know you are allready famuair with IEC colour codes and you are on target plus green with yellow stripe is for ground }

If you have more question just holler I will try to give you more answer if possible.

Merci.
Marc

#7 · (Edited)
........and check with your standard bulb to fit in if not you will have to change the socket as well.
Marc,Thanks for the Tips
I did find the bulbs at the local Santa Monica Store for:
http://www.light-bulbs-unlimited.net/

I could not find the bulbs on my own by searching the Net. There are just too many variations in all the European bulb sizes and voltages. The bulb socket size turned out to be a 15MM double contact bayonet. I was floored when I saw that they make bulbs up to 500W that plug into that dinky socket.

My suggestion for anyone looking for a specialty bulb is to Google to find a specialty store in their area
Canopy looks like it slips off easily. Can you not find one the looks similar but is larger diameter to replace it. Then it would cover the box and strap.
Joed,Thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

#8 ·
Bob,

That bulb you posted that is a very common UK bulb socket we have that a bit in France as well.

Yes that is true they can go big as 500 watts however once you get over 100 watts normally they will go with porcialn socket to withstand the heat from higher wattage bulbs crank out.

They are sorta like little heater.

Merci,Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.