DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Help - microwave is screaming! (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/help-microwave-screaming-32765/)

Sharkdog2000 11-28-2008 01:42 PM

Help - microwave is screaming!
 
Whirlpool over the range microwave oven (model MH6700XM - 1985). Woke this morning to no LED display and a constant beep or alarm noise that can only be stopped by turning off breaker for that part of the kitchen. Is there possibly a fuse or some other part of the Microwave that can easily be replaced? If not, please direct me to any online UN-installation directions, so I can at least un-mount the thing from the wall and unplug it. There's no outlet to be found in any of the surrounding cabinets.

Found the plug behind the appliance & managed to loosen enough bolts to reach back & pull it out. Now, on to the installation of a new one!

joed 11-28-2008 02:47 PM

Found this. don't know if it is any help..
http://www.us1internet.net/MH6700XM1/

Gigs 11-28-2008 02:49 PM

1985?

Yes, I think it's time for a new one.

kbsparky 11-28-2008 03:02 PM

You might want to take a look here for a similar situation.

Yoyizit 11-28-2008 03:47 PM

Find the audible indicator that's beeping and remove it from the circuit. There is some small chance the microwave will work without it.

J. V. 11-28-2008 04:19 PM

Why not call the manufacturer. They know way more about the microwave than any of us could, and they have all the parts you may need. Including the oven itself. They might even help you with the one you have.

Yoyizit 11-28-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkdog2000 (Post 191103)
Is there possibly a fuse?

Maybe: post a schematic. It's somewhere inside, glued to sheet metal.
Don't touch the capacitor; some don't have a resistor permanently installed to discharge them.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

hoistdoctor 11-29-2008 10:22 PM

I work on these all the time and you have a 99% chance the control board is toast which means its time to buy a new microwave. If you decide to open it and take a look, the capacitor will hold a 2000 volt charge for a while. That will light you up!

Yoyizit 11-29-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoistdoctor (Post 191584)
its time to buy a new microwave.

The extremely strong doughnut-shaped magnets from the Magnetron make great fridge magnets and can also be used to hold small parts if you fasten one to a tool belt.:thumbsup:

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/05/205-004-F27EDE44.jpg

the capacitor will hold a 2000 volt charge for a while

More than 1 joule of stored electrical energy is possibly fatal
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capeng.html

hoistdoctor 11-30-2008 10:23 PM

Those magnets will "clean" a credit card. Try it on your wife's.:thumbup:

Yoyizit 12-01-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoistdoctor (Post 192053)
Those magnets will "clean" a credit card. Try it on your wife's.:thumbup:

Personally, I use them to cleanse my mind of impure thoughts. They don't work so well for that, though.
:)

Gigs 12-01-2008 12:39 PM

There is not much to go wrong on a microwave unless the control board is fried. One time I tried to kill one in my back yard, microwaving metal turnings, CDs, sealed 12 ounce sodas, whole eggs, even pyrotechnic compositions.

That thing still worked fine through it all. I have video from inside the oven around here somewhere. (had a viewport in the top, smaller than the wavelength of the microwaves so no leakage.

theatretch85 12-01-2008 01:56 PM

Replace this microwave before it catches on fire! I watched my microwave start to smoke in the house, un-plugged it and ran it outside just to watch flames ignite inside the microwave! Just glad I removed it from the house in time before it caight fire inside! Believe me, its going to be Alot cheaper to replace the microwave now than to replace your house due to a fire from a faulty microwave!

Yoyizit 12-01-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theatretch85 (Post 192297)
Replace this microwave before it catches on fire! I watched my microwave start to smoke in the house, un-plugged it and ran it outside just to watch flames ignite inside the microwave! Just glad I removed it from the house in time before it caight fire inside! Believe me, its going to be Alot cheaper to replace the microwave now than to replace your house due to a fire from a faulty microwave!

http://libraries.vermont.gov/sites/l...p2006-339.html

theatretch85 12-01-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyizit (Post 192421)


Haha, yeah this was an old microwave that my parents had for some time, and it was at my parents house that this happened. Big old ugly microwave, it was heading for the dumpster one way or another, lol.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.