Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

Help with Meter Breaker Combo

I have a Cutler-Hammer MBT48B200BTS on the outside of my new home and I want to install another circuit breaker to this main panel. I also need to attach amp meter clamps to the Hot leads for the install of the TED 5000. This is my first panel without a main shutoff. Do I need to pull the meter off to work in the panel since there is no Main shutoff breaker? Right now there are only 5 throws in the breaker...the new breaker I will add will be the sixth throw.

Tim

Bigf1ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Sparky

cat no you posted indicates it should have a 200A main

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #3

Snapping in the sixth throw (the new breaker), or clamping on a new subfeed on to an existing feed wire or bus, does not mandate pulling of the meter. However only an experienced person should be doing it because the exposes busses can deliver over a thousand amps for more than just a brief interval in the event of a slip of the hand and a short circuit because there is no breaker between there and the pole transformer. Metal parts would not just melt; they could vaporize and this makes for an explosion.

If you needed to disconnect a feed wire, say to upgrade the feed to 200 amps, you need to have the meter pulled.

Even 200 amps for a brief interval can cause a scary spark if your hands slip and a short circuit happens. So even with a panel with a main breaker, only experienced persons should do work inside. And there are some parts inside that are still alive even when the main breaker is off.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-01-2011 at 06:37 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Thanks Allan...Not having a main breaker shutoff makes it hard to work in the panel safely. I wonder if that is on purpose? I will call someone out to assist.

Tim
Bigf1ip is offline   Reply With Quote